Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2008, 05:14 AM
Rookie

Default rampage Formula

Hi,
i saw few threads about the rampage formula and some issues with it.
This is tottaly out of my leagues since i do not have a good understanding of Vdropp and LLC.
this few threads i found

Rampage Formula and a 45nm CPU? READ THIS! - XtremeSystems Forums

AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed

X48 Rampage Formula Preview. - Page 15 - XtremeSystems Forums

Is there something wrong with this motherboard? I will be running at stock speeds so i am not sure if i have to disable this LLC?
Thx for help in advanced
I really want a motherboard that will be stable for me at stock speeds for playing games =/ I hope everything goes well with this.
Atm i have no money left to buy another motherboard=/

Last edited by maurier; May 30, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old May 30, 2008, 05:52 AM
Rookie

The review here seemed like a it said it was a great motherboard. I will let you know because I am building a system right now. You have to remember, you can find things wrong with every motherboard. LOL I have been looking for a motherboard for months, this is the final one I decided on.
Old May 30, 2008, 06:05 AM
Rookie

I forgot to mention that this seems to happen to most if not all Asus motherboards. And Asus still seems to be one of the top brands in the motherboard world. LOL there is a pencil mod trick for them that guess works. LOL I would do some research before you did it though.
Old May 30, 2008, 08:35 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If you are just looking for a stable board at stock speeds there is no need to spend that kind of $. Are you running crossfire?
Old May 30, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

Disable LLC. As already said in some of those threads, it's not needed at stock settings, it's potentially capable of doing more harm than good at higher settings. Point in case, my own Formula Maximus board is perfectly stable at 4Ghz without it enabled, and I've still got headroom to play with if I want. I would only expect things to be even better on the Rampage.

And yeah, that board is gross overkill for stock settings. Even if you're running crossfire and want two full PCI-E slots, there are cheaper X38 chipsets that will do just fine for you at stock to mild overclocks.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:37 PM
Rookie

Hi and thx for the help.
Ok i will disable LLC=) and i do run two 3850 in crossfire on this motherboard, i was going to get two 3870X2 but figured this was a cheapper solution.