Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2017, 05:30 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Fixing Bent Pins on AMD's Ryzen PGA CPUs - Comment Thread

On a recent shipping adventure one of our Ryzen CPUs met with an untimely death via bent socket pins. But is this really a lost cause? We explore potential fixes.

Read more here: Fixing Bent Pins on AMD's Ryzen PGA CPUs
Old September 14, 2017, 05:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

best tool to use hypodermic needle with syringe the needle ID fits over the cpu pin OD then rock syringe to straighten
Old September 14, 2017, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
best tool to use hypodermic needle with syringe the needle ID fits over the cpu pin OD then rock syringe to straighten
Mechanical pencil can work in a pinch too.
Old September 14, 2017, 06:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Mechanical pencil can work in a pinch too.
That is what i was going to say. Fixed many Athlon/Duron Processors using this method.
Old September 14, 2017, 09:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Always interesting. Shipping insurance?

I haven't fixed CPU pins before, but I have done intel MOB pins 2 times. Tools of the trade - a magnifying glass, mechanical pencil, pair of tweezers, toothpick and patience. A nice macro photo with my dslr for a closeup to zoom in on and verify pins after helped for some fine tuning.
Old September 16, 2017, 06:08 AM
Rookie

I have used a credit card a couple times. Works great similar to your spudger though I have never had pins damaged quite so bad.

RYZEN 7 1700X @ 4GHZ - Asus TUF B350M-Plus Gaming - MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G - 16 Gb GSKILL 3000 CL15 Tryden Z RGB -
CaseLabs Merlin 5 - HEAT KILLER Basic - Alfacool UT 60 - 240 & 360
Old September 16, 2017, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

yes those 2 tools (needle or mechanical pencil) work best on heavy damaged pins

for those tools allow to only bent at the kink note the hypo needle is slanted on end and MC is straight cut

caution not to over bend pin, too far over the pin center, it will break off

best is get it close (98%) to fit in socket and then allow socket to straighten the rest out
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; September 16, 2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old September 16, 2017, 09:44 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Great article and tips. I have bend the pins on my X58 mobo (cpu did not seat properly after reapplying paste). Only a few pins on mobo were bent. I used a dissecting kit tool to straighten them. It worked, and I never take the cpu out again. Good thing is that it is now my old pc used for my FreeNAS.
Old September 16, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thanks guys, glad you liked the article.
The reason I don't like needles is you need a very low gauge one. Most peeps don't know where to find the blunt nose style (DIY vape supplies will have them for an outrageously priced 1-1.50) so they will have to use a needle with a... needle point. I just can't recommend that for a novice who may scratch the hell out of the CPU substrate... or worse stab themselves with it. Trust me they make a hole... and cleaning blood of a CPU is royal PITA :p

The reason I don't recommend mech pencils is because very.... very few have an end that is slender enough to navigate in the middle of a CPU PGA rats nest without damaging other pins. Thus the tools I suggested in the review. YMMV but whatever has worked for you in the past... is the way I would go in the future too. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 16, 2017, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

yes LGA socket is PITA for need strong fingers and shirt pin with the tip dressed (sharpened with dremel)

and for the weak hands use a Vise-Grip 4LN, gives more control for fits in hand nice

also use a snake light over socket to keep glare off your eyes
Attached Images

Last edited by KaptCrunch; September 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM.