Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2017, 01:59 AM
Banned

Default is there an advantage to Intel's memory vs AMD on 4 memory channels

is there an advantage to Intel's memory vs AMD on 4 memory channels ?

AMD 1920/1950 Works each processor sends to two memory channels

intel sends from CPU to all 4 memory channels ?
is this an advantage ?
how does this manifest itself ?
Old September 14, 2017, 07:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Intel's mem design is technically more optimal... but it depends on your work load. If you are using say core 1+2 in CCX block 1 and core 3+4 in CCX block 4 (ie dif 'ryzen chips' in TR) AND are using all four cores for the exact same app AND accessing all for channels of the ram at the same time... some data has to cross the Infinity Fabric (and then be copied into cache etc etc) which is slower with higher latency. In reality the dif is minor as the scheduling manager tries to ensure all in-flight data from the mem bus is in the same block (optimally same CCX, but same two block CCX if that is not possible).

Honestly with 16cores and 32 threads vs Intel's smaller HEDT means the overall performance on AMD will/should be higher for the same or less cash. Its really only going to be a consideration for peeps who can afford the mega Intel options AND can make full use of them. Most peeps will never max out 12 cores let alone 16 for long enough to notice the dif in how AMD vs Intel does it.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 14, 2017, 07:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

As always AKG, your information of thorough and sage like. No, i'm not joking when i say that.
Old September 14, 2017, 10:47 AM
MVP

I learned things just now.
Old September 15, 2017, 04:54 AM
Banned

AkG - Really nothing to do with anything, just answers with edits on nothing!
Really nothing to do with anything, just answers with edits on nothing!

Quote:
" Intel's mem design is technically more optimal... but it depends on your work load "
more optimal for what ?
depends on your work load for what ?
what is " work load " for you?

If
Quote:
you are using say core 1+2 in CCX block 1 and core 3+4 in CCX block 4(ie dif 'ryzen chips' in TR)
Again nonsense, it has nothing to do with anything
I do OC to all processors

Quote:
(optimally same CCX, but same two block CCX if that is not possible).
whatttttttttt

Quote:
Honestly with 16cores and 32 threads vs Intel's smaller HEDT means the overall performance on AMD will/should be higher for the same or less cash.
honestly Intel's NOT have smaller HEDT with 16cores and 32 threads Still

Quote:
overall performance on AMD will/should be higher for the same or less cash.
Again saying nothing, there are different command methods for AMD processors and Intel chips
Works differently and gives different results

Unfortunately, all the tests do not check the quality of the premiere or image or the performance of the work, only speed.

Quote:
Most peeps will never max out 12 cores let alone 16 for long enough to notice the dif in how AMD vs Intel does it.
whattttttt?
i have no idea what you write and on what, I can use video software in all processors easily

honestly everything you write has nothing to do with anything
my question was about Intel's memory vs AMD on 4 memory channels

Old September 15, 2017, 05:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Jesus dude, would you STOP with the insults and your STUPID posts?!?! You sound like you're about 12 years old and have ZERO knowledge about tech stuff. Stop polluting this forum with your moron questions and maybe learn how to READ and how to do some actual research on your own.
Old September 15, 2017, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can this guy just get banned already, this contributes nothing. Well aside from AkGs through answer.
Old September 15, 2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1oooooo00 View Post
AkG - Really nothing to do with anything, just answers with edits on nothing!
Really nothing to do with anything, just answers with edits on nothing!

more optimal for what ?
depends on your work load for what ?
what is " work load " for you?

If

Again nonsense, it has nothing to do with anything
I do OC to all processors

whatttttttttt

honestly Intel's NOT have smaller HEDT with 16cores and 32 threads Still

Again saying nothing, there are different command methods for AMD processors and Intel chips
Works differently and gives different results

Unfortunately, all the tests do not check the quality of the premiere or image or the performance of the work, only speed.

whattttttt?
i have no idea what you write and on what, I can use video software in all processors easily

honestly everything you write has nothing to do with anything
my question was about Intel's memory vs AMD on 4 memory channels

Ok I think either you are on the spectrum or are now just trolling badly. I laid out the answer to your question. I was polite and actually took you seriously. I explained in detail why it does not matter all that much in the real world under normal working conditions. Instead of asking for clarification you came back with a poorly worded ad ignorantiam fallacy. Honestly if you are going to troll, you have to do better than that. I give you a score of 1 out of 10 as you did not use any bait, nor did you even try to put any effort into your troll. You just spewed words in seemingly random order. Step up your game and come back in a few years and then maybe it would be enjoyable to slap you down. Right now you are just boring. This is coming from a master class troll.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 15, 2017, 06:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Intel IMC tend to be better than AMD IMC. It affects 2-channel CPUs to a certain degree. 4-channel would not suffer as much from IMC as from the configuration of the interconnect.
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB + HGST 5400RPM 2TB
Evga GTX 1080 FTW 8GB + BenQ BL3201PH 4K 32"
Old September 15, 2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 486 View Post
Intel IMC tend to be better than AMD IMC. It affects 2-channel CPUs to a certain degree. 4-channel would not suffer as much from IMC as from the configuration of the interconnect.
Yup and since AMD uses a mesh/crossbar interconnect (Infinty Fabric) and Intel is also using a mesh (called 'untile' IIRC) instead of Ringbus now, the real world differences may be less than expected. But I was dumb'ing it down and using the assumption that Intel's Mesh is not as... unrefined... as AMDs first gen interconnect. As this was an off the cuff answer.

Last edited by AkG; September 15, 2017 at 07:06 AM.