Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2017, 02:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Set up a manual overclock at stock speeds?
Already tried that. It can't be really locked into a constant speed. It continually fluctuates by +/- 35-55MHz.
Old June 20, 2017, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This launch is pretty lack luster to me. After reading several reviews I am not going for a X299 system. I may go for an AMD build next just to show my disappointment to Intel.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old June 21, 2017, 12:49 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
This launch is pretty lack luster to me. After reading several reviews I am not going for a X299 system. I may go for an AMD build next just to show my disappointment to Intel.
I would not call this launch lack luster, but it definitely is rushed and confusing - seeing the 7700 series processors under the X299. Like with the X370 Ryzen line, things will get ironed out over time - better drivers and new processor stepping. Before upgrading, I wish to see what Intel's i7 7800 line of processors have to deliver VS. Ryzen Threadripper.
Old June 21, 2017, 06:39 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
I would not call this launch lack luster, but it definitely is rushed and confusing - seeing the 7700 series processors under the X299. Like with the X370 Ryzen line, things will get ironed out over time - better drivers and new processor stepping. Before upgrading, I wish to see what Intel's i7 7800 line of processors have to deliver VS. Ryzen Threadripper.
Latency doesn't get ironed out with drivers or bios updates. X299 latency versus X99 is much higher.

Old June 22, 2017, 01:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Latency doesn't get ironed out with drivers or bios updates. X299 latency versus X99 is much higher.

Valid point. However, much like AMD, Intel made some architectural designs/changes, which had an effect on the core latency. And much like with AMD's Ryzen, Intel's Skylake-X processors' core latency are effected by RAM timings. Additionally, there are additional factors such as SpeedShift, cache size allocation and other architectural changes, which in spite of the core latency increase, has Skylake-X out-perform Broadwell-E in 'Workstation and HPC tests' as well as general 'Office tests'.

Plus, if latency was so relevant in PC components, we would not see DDR3 RAM beyond 1333 MHz and DDR4 beyond 2666 MHz, yet we do, as latency is only one factor.
Old June 22, 2017, 04:24 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Valid point. However, much like AMD, Intel made some architectural designs/changes, which had an effect on the core latency. And much like with AMD's Ryzen, Intel's Skylake-X processors' core latency are effected by RAM timings. Additionally, there are additional factors such as SpeedShift, cache size allocation and other architectural changes, which in spite of the core latency increase, has Skylake-X out-perform Broadwell-E in 'Workstation and HPC tests' as well as general 'Office tests'.

Plus, if latency was so relevant in PC components, we would not see DDR3 RAM beyond 1333 MHz and DDR4 beyond 2666 MHz, yet we do, as latency is only one factor.
Core latency barely decreases noticeably with X299. You might see less than a 6ms latency reduction with the way mesh works. Contrary to X299 Ryzen latency scales much better with higher clocked memory. X299 comparisons to Broadwall-E in terms of performance metrics aren't valid because they aren't clock for clock currently. If clock for clock was done you would see s small improvement even though the architecture has changed. Not to mention that the so called architecture and cache changes are also responsible for the latency. Ring bus had superior latency than Intel's mesh particularly on anything with more than 4 cores. Coupled with many other issues and factors X299 is a rushed and lackluster launch especially for HEDT.
Old June 26, 2017, 01:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

the reviews are ok. however all the benchmark programs are STILL written for INTEL chips. NONE of the companies have taken the time to RE WRITE a patch that will use the RYZEN chips perks. I STILL DONT see how a 4 core can beat a 6 or 8 core chip. UNLESS the programs are written for the 4 core chip only!. When will the reviewers PUSH the companies to write a patch for the RYZEN CHIPS?
Old June 29, 2017, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will take a jab here and say that the unnamed benefactor is marc_0053.
Old June 29, 2017, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elites2012 View Post
the reviews are ok. however all the benchmark programs are STILL written for INTEL chips. NONE of the companies have taken the time to RE WRITE a patch that will use the RYZEN chips perks. I STILL DONT see how a 4 core can beat a 6 or 8 core chip. UNLESS the programs are written for the 4 core chip only!. When will the reviewers PUSH the companies to write a patch for the RYZEN CHIPS?
It's not as simple as that....

Writing code that takes full advantage of multiple threads isn't as simple as ticking a box off that says "8 cores" instead of "4 cores". Programs that do take advantage of multiple cores tend to be some form of crunching that can break a larger task down to smaller individual bits (like video conversion) while tasks (like gaming) that are more real time on-the-fly processing can only break their tasks down so far. In fact... they often produce unintended consequences when they do try to force multiple threads (games that run poorly on high clocked dual cores because they've locked one whole thread to audio).

4 cores seems to be the current sweet spot for gaming and I doubt we'll see much change in that over the foreseeable future.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM