Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2017, 11:05 PM
Top Prospect

Default Ryzen vs Intel clock for clock shootout?

I've done some looking around the inter-webs, but so far haven't found any equivalent clock speed tests. It could be my google fu is lacking. Anyone else find any?
Old March 19, 2017, 04:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm more interested in safe 24/7 oc vs safe 24/7 oc. 4.0 Ryzen vs 7700k @4.8 or something.. That'll be more telling.

Clock for clock is all well and good but that's not real world, stock vs stock is better.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old March 19, 2017, 06:39 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
I'm more interested in safe 24/7 oc vs safe 24/7 oc. 4.0 Ryzen vs 7700k @4.8 or something.. That'll be more telling.

Clock for clock is all well and good but that's not real world, stock vs stock is better.

Well I'm going to disagree. AMD has for some time been behind on IPC. If there is a significant improvement in that state of affairs, it would be nice to see it laid out plain and simple. The benches I've looked at show the Ryzen quite competitive in highly multi-threaded stuff, but lagging behind Intel in less multi-threaded tasks against higher clocked chips.

If they have indeed closed the gap and can open the throttle on clock speed, things could get interesting.
Old March 19, 2017, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well it's obvious that their IPC has improved but if the core doesn't run at the same clocks it's a pointless synthetic test.
If a chip runs at 4.4ghz and has the same or even slightly worse IPC than a chip that runs at 3.8 or 4.0, it's going to be faster.. if you cripple it, of course it will perform relatively worse.

I agree it would be slightly interesting to see clock for clock comparisons but what you're asking for is a test which cripples 1 product and makes another look illegitimately better.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old March 19, 2017, 07:41 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Well it's obvious that their IPC has improved but if the core doesn't run at the same clocks it's a pointless synthetic test.
If a chip runs at 4.4ghz and has the same or even slightly worse IPC than a chip that runs at 3.8 or 4.0, it's going to be faster.. if you cripple it, of course it will perform relatively worse.

I agree it would be slightly interesting to see clock for clock comparisons but what you're asking for is a test which cripples 1 product and makes another look illegitimately better.
You have a point when it comes to overclocking but overclockers aren't the majority and most users never overclock their systems. Out of the box the 1800x is clocked higher than it's Intel equivalent so in those cases the end user actually gets a CPU with higher performance.
Old March 19, 2017, 07:49 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:

It would be more than slightly interesting to me. I think comparing competing architectures at equal clock speeds is absolutely legitimate, especially when we don't have comparable current gen chips.

Saint Patrick's Cheers!
Old March 19, 2017, 08:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
It would be more than slightly interesting to me. I think comparing competing architectures at equal clock speeds is absolutely legitimate, especially when we don't have comparable current gen chips.

Saint Patrick's Cheers!
It depends.... there was a comparison out there of ryzen @ 4G w/ a downclocked 4G 7700K which to my mind is an absolutely useless comparison since the whole point of the 7700K comparison in the first place is that it's a freakishly high clocked part and there isn't a hope in hell of seeing a comparable ryzen part anytime in the near future.

If the ryzen part can be OC'd to the stock levels of a competing processor I'd see that as a viable comparison, but not if the competing processor is being purposefully crippled. If you want that kind of comparison then pick a competing processor that already has those particular clock speeds and compare that, otherwise it's just an attempt to create a false equivalency.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old March 19, 2017, 08:30 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It depends.... there was a comparison out there of ryzen @ 4G w/ a downclocked 4G 7700K which to my mind is an absolutely useless comparison since the whole point of the 7700K comparison in the first place is that it's a freakishly high clocked part and there isn't a hope in hell of seeing a comparable ryzen part anytime in the near future.

If the ryzen part can be OC'd to the stock levels of a competing processor I'd see that as a viable comparison, but not if the competing processor is being purposefully crippled. If you want that kind of comparison then pick a competing processor that already has those particular clock speeds and compare that, otherwise it's just an attempt to create a false equivalency.
Well that's great, in my OP I stated that I couldn't find that, please post a link.

If AMD is in the same ballpark on IPC now and they are able to ramp up the clocks............it could be good.

I'm not an AMD fanboy, the only AMD I have is a 486, but I would sure like them to stay in the game.
Old March 19, 2017, 08:36 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Well that's great, in my OP I stated that I couldn't find that, please post a link.

If AMD is in the same ballpark on IPC now and they are able to ramp up the clocks............it could be good.

I'm not an AMD fanboy, the only AMD I have is a 486, but I would sure like them to stay in the game.
Well.... I typically avoid posting links to things I consider either clickbait or questionable testing practices, but here's a google link that should point you in the right direction. :)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ryzen...hrome&ie=UTF-8

edit: Oh and they went even further by disabling cores on the Ryzen to simulate a quad core, but of course that says nothing about how the true quad ryzens will communicate core to core.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old March 19, 2017, 01:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Valkyrie I too would like to see IPC compared. IMO it is one of the first tests I would do. IPC is integral to understanding the core strength of an architecture.