Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2017, 07:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD's Ryzen 5 Processors; A Preview - Comment Thread

Hot on the heals of their Ryzen 7 launch, AMD has now revealed specifications, pricing an availability date and some rough performance numbers for their 4 and 6 core Ryzen 5 processors.

Read more here: AMD's Ryzen 5 Processors; A Preview

Old March 15, 2017, 07:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

With any luck we'll start to see some daylight on AM4 motherboard availability by the time these start hitting the street. (Maybe some properly binned "AMD" memory as well.... ).

The 1600/1600X is really where I was considering upgrading to anyways so this release is the one I'm looking forward to seeing.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM
Old March 15, 2017, 07:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
With any luck we'll start to see some daylight on AM4 motherboard availability by the time these start hitting the street. (Maybe some properly binned "AMD" memory as well.... ).

The 1600/1600X is really where I was considering upgrading to anyways so this release is the one I'm looking forward to seeing.
I think the 1500x is pritty awesome too if you're a gamer. We've been on 4/8 thread CPU's for some time now and they're still generally not a bottleneck for games, GPUS are.

Plus, 65w! Thats nearly passive cooler territory for mATX and mITX stuff!
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 15, 2017, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AMD doesn't calculate TDP the same way Intel does where CPUs are concerned.

Intel = total power draw
AMD = thermal dissipation

One interesting note is that Intel didn't take AVX into account until quite recently with Kaby Lake. Also in that regard, they seem to follow the AMD philosophy for the Kaby Lake mobile SKUs.

Last edited by Vittra; March 15, 2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Elaboration
Old March 15, 2017, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the Ryzen 5 will do well.
AMD Ryzen™ | AMD

Video shows them testing at 1080p
Old March 15, 2017, 11:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1 month to go. We shall see if the lower core count translates to clock speed improvements. If they get a quad core up around 4.5Ghz then I would say it is a win. But somehow I doubt it. Price is what AMD will be counting on. That is important but so is mind share. You don't get that without being best in class.
Old March 16, 2017, 01:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Interesting. Even if they are a few % behind in games I would be fine with it, if it is faster or the same in other apps and cheaper. Can't wait for some of these reviews.
Old March 16, 2017, 04:10 AM
MVP

My System Specs

hmm, I was really hoping to see fewer cores with higher clocks as well, but I can see a number of reasons why they wouldn't go that route, such as not wanting the cheaper alternative beat out its higher end line up in ways that have people settle for the "lesser" option.

Either way I'm interested to see how they do, and how they overclock in comparison as well should hopefully be something to look forward too.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a Zen APU but I don't think they're slated until end of year?
Old March 16, 2017, 05:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I'm a bit concerned about these processors. I was hoping that the four core parts would be a single native CCX with dedicated L3 cache but rather it is an 8-core part with four cores simply disabled.

I'm not concerned about performance since it should be competitive. Rather, I'm worried that AMD is paying the cost to produce an expensive 8 core part only to disable half of it. Not only would a native four-core (or, based on how the architecture works a 2x2 layout) processor allow for more dies on a single wafer but it also avoids the messy process of possibly utilizing perfectly viable 8-6 core parts for volume-focused products. My mind is boggled right now....
Old March 16, 2017, 05:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I'm a bit concerned about these processors. I was hoping that the four core parts would be a single native CCX with dedicated L3 cache but rather it is an 8-core part with four cores simply disabled.

I'm not concerned about performance since it should be competitive. Rather, I'm worried that AMD is paying the cost to produce an expensive 8 core part only to disable half of it. Not only would a native four-core (or, based on how the architecture works a 2x2 layout) processor allow for more dies on a single wafer but it also avoids the messy process of possibly utilizing perfectly viable 8-6 core parts for volume-focused products. My mind is boggled right now....
Same here, I don't think the 4C will do well.