Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2017, 06:44 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Review; Testing SMT - Comment Thread

AMD's Ryzen 7 1700X is a CPU that offers 90% of the 1800X's performance in a much less expensive package. But how does it fare against Intel's competition without SMT enabled?

Read more here: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Review; Testing SMT

Old March 13, 2017, 07:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Iím sure that most of you skipped to this section

Why no 1% Low's?

Edit: From what I am hearing Ryzen may not achieve much higher clocks on air but further improvements with newer BIOS' may give you those clocks at a reduced voltage and therefore less heat.

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; March 13, 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old March 13, 2017, 08:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

We will be adding frame variance to upcoming reviews but not yet.
Old March 13, 2017, 09:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As someone who uses his computer primarily for gaming Ryzan is a disappointment for me. Some are saying the 4 and 6 cores will be better for gaming but they are rumored to be even clocked lower than the 1800x. The Z270 motherboards are also better IMO. We also know that Intel's 6 core processors are coming out and they should match the 7700k clock for clock.

If Ryzan didn't have significantly lower performance in some games I would consider switching as I like to give money to someone other than Intel as we need good strong competition. For gaming a 7700k clocked at 5ghz is still king and I don't see any Ryzan CPU beating it.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 13, 2017, 09:46 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Great review SKY. It was nice to read it all, now that the R7 Hype-train has departed the station.
Old March 14, 2017, 05:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Edit: From what I am hearing Ryzen may not achieve much higher clocks on air but further improvements with newer BIOS' may give you those clocks at a reduced voltage and therefore less heat.
Apparently the heat is being misreported, to the tune of 20C. The 1700 apparently is the only chip properly reporting heat, according to this anyway:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu...egree_offset/1
Old March 14, 2017, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

More fuel for the flames... 4C/4T testing on Ryzen... saw this linked over on H.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQilK2dOJTg
Old March 14, 2017, 07:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

[QUOTE]Based upon the testing in this review, the 1700X provides a much better value proposition than the 1800X ever could. [QUOTE]
And 1700 has even more, and while overclocked at 4 GHz is within 1% of [email protected] GHz. Talk about value. However we can see it really sucks at gaming. For the moment at least. So gamers will still pay Intel while professional users can start paying AMD.
Old March 14, 2017, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good to see a balanced review after the dust has settled from the 1800x

On the one hand its very exciting (lots of compute power) but on the other there seems to be something missing (low res gaming issues and limited overclocking).

I guess you cant expect both-bit intel might plug this gap-as there is demand for BOTH it seems.

After buying a 1800x for work and 21:9 60hz gaming it seems a solid bet-but the low res gaming fps are a concern and Im not optimistic that will change after reading the review. In the next few years we may expect to see cheaper high res high refresh rate monitors that could expose this gaming weakness down the road? For now its good.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old March 14, 2017, 10:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
As someone who uses his computer primarily for gaming Ryzan is a disappointment for me. Some are saying the 4 and 6 cores will be better for gaming but they are rumored to be even clocked lower than the 1800x. The Z270 motherboards are also better IMO. We also know that Intel's 6 core processors are coming out and they should match the 7700k clock for clock.

If Ryzan didn't have significantly lower performance in some games I would consider switching as I like to give money to someone other than Intel as we need good strong competition. For gaming a 7700k clocked at 5ghz is still king and I don't see any Ryzan CPU beating it.
Some points regarding this:

1) Coffee Lake - The mainstream 6-core Intel processors being referred to - will either show up at end of 4Q 2017 or 1Q 2018. It is more likely to be in 2018 in tandem with Ice Lake, since we still have to see Cannonlake prior to this. Not as soon as some people may be expecting.

2) 5ghz isn't a realistic overclock for a majority of 7700k chips that exist. 4.6ghz - 4.7ghz is. Still by far the best combination of pure speed and IPC you're going to get at this point and time - no doubt about that.