Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2017, 06:32 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Performance Review Comment Thread

AMD's Ryzen is finally here and it is spectacular. Can the new Ryzen 7 1800X deliver performance that can beat Intel's i7-6900K in our benchmarks? Let's find out!

Read more here: The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Performance Review

Last edited by SKYMTL; March 2, 2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old March 2, 2017, 07:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good.

Yes, the gaming benchmarks could be a bit better, overclocking more straightforward (or possible LOL) and memory compatibility will have to improve as the platform gets refined, but for someone who wants a good "all-rounder" that is a competent gaming machine and requires parallel workload horsepower, Ryzen looks like a very solid endeavour.

But that price makes Intel look pretty bad. Now we wait for 1080Ti review(s). Ryzen and 1080Ti looks like a viable next step, especially because Vega is still up in space (pun intended)

Great efforts, and great review Sky!

PS: I'll probably go for the 1700 or 1700x once I get some spare gear cleared out. I do a fair bit of virtualization stuff for work and this looks like a great combo for my specific purposes.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old March 2, 2017, 07:27 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
Looks good.

Yes, the gaming benchmarks could be a bit better, overclocking more straightforward (or possible LOL) and memory compatibility will have to improve as the platform gets refined, but for someone who wants a good "all-rounder" that is a competent gaming machine and requires parallel workload horsepower, Ryzen looks like a very solid endeavour.

But that price makes Intel look pretty bad. Now we wait for 1080Ti review(s). Ryzen and 1080Ti looks like a viable next step, especially because Vega is still up in space (pun intended)

Great efforts, and great review Sky!

PS: I'll probably go for the 1700 or 1700x once I get some spare gear cleared out. I do a fair bit of virtualization stuff for work and this looks like a great combo for my specific purposes.
Exactly, for someone that does virtualization, this is a no brainer over a 7700K, however, for gamers, there's no reason to upgrade from your haswell (heck even Sandy) chip at the current prices unless you multi-task on your gaming machine, aka, you're a streamer.

However, ryzen 3 will be a whole different story (I hope)
Old March 2, 2017, 07:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

So happy that once again, AMD can be mentioned in between enthusiast cpus for productivity. As for gaming, looking forward to see Ryzen 5 and 3, they could be overclocked higher since of lower core count.
Old March 2, 2017, 07:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It is good to see AMD back in the mix for CPU's. I hope this really gives Intel Pause and we can start seeing 'affordable' CPU's from them.

The memory concerns should work themselves out once enough Kits are out there that denote their Rank or are 'AMD specific'.
Otherwise, it looks like we have two choices again in the world. About bloody time.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 2, 2017, 08:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

AMD is back in the game and I'm impress with AMD's approach of future proofing the platform, it definitely has a lot of potential.

On the gaming front I think we all expected the fast four cores cpus to keep the performance crown, at least for now.

In terms of pricing though this is definitely impressive and if you account for the reasonable priced AM4 motherboards it's even more impressive!
Old March 2, 2017, 08:21 AM

My System Specs

Read the info about the PCIe lanes and honestly stopped reading. I use a lot of expansion cards on my systems and I can see this won't suit my needs. Rather disappointed.
Old March 2, 2017, 08:27 AM
Top Prospect

According to AMD, they're working on a Windows driver to help with gaming performance. So we can expect those gaming numbers to rise as they seem a bit lower than they should be.

Quote:
AMD firmly believes that they can improve gaming performance with Ryzen optimizations as all the games we tested with were optimized on Intel, so they feel the testing is one sided right now. They also have a Windows Driver coming in approximately one month that will help performance as the Windows High Precision Event Timer (HPET) isn’t playing nice with the SenseMI sensors that poll the CPU status every millisecond.

“AMD expects to create a simplified solution in the next month to set a Windows profile that pairs the optimum performance experienced in the High Performance power plan, with the energy efficiency experienced in the Balanced power plan.” – AMD

Source:
https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryz...view_191753/15

Overall i'm still waiting on Ryzen 5 for some 6 core action. I am hoping that one can OC above 4Ghz.
Old March 2, 2017, 08:28 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You may want to wait for motherboards with PLX chips. Another option may be Naples which has a massively powerful chipset.
Old March 2, 2017, 08:31 AM
MVP

SKYMTL the issue with memory compatibility has already been said it will fixed within a few months at the most. It just requires more mature bios updates to occur. It's not a weak memory controller but rather the current state of the bios being shipped to the consumers.