Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Performance Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/74819-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-performance-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL March 2, 2017 06:32 AM

The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Performance Review Comment Thread

AMD's Ryzen is finally here and it is spectacular. Can the new Ryzen 7 1800X deliver performance that can beat Intel's i7-6900K in our benchmarks? Let's find out!

Read more here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ce-review.html

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

10e March 2, 2017 07:18 AM

Looks good.

Yes, the gaming benchmarks could be a bit better, overclocking more straightforward (or possible LOL) and memory compatibility will have to improve as the platform gets refined, but for someone who wants a good "all-rounder" that is a competent gaming machine and requires parallel workload horsepower, Ryzen looks like a very solid endeavour.

But that price makes Intel look pretty bad. Now we wait for 1080Ti review(s). Ryzen and 1080Ti looks like a viable next step, especially because Vega is still up in space (pun intended)

Great efforts, and great review Sky!

PS: I'll probably go for the 1700 or 1700x once I get some spare gear cleared out. I do a fair bit of virtualization stuff for work and this looks like a great combo for my specific purposes.

TheDarkLord March 2, 2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10e (Post 841795)
Looks good.

Yes, the gaming benchmarks could be a bit better, overclocking more straightforward (or possible LOL) and memory compatibility will have to improve as the platform gets refined, but for someone who wants a good "all-rounder" that is a competent gaming machine and requires parallel workload horsepower, Ryzen looks like a very solid endeavour.

But that price makes Intel look pretty bad. Now we wait for 1080Ti review(s). Ryzen and 1080Ti looks like a viable next step, especially because Vega is still up in space (pun intended)

Great efforts, and great review Sky!

PS: I'll probably go for the 1700 or 1700x once I get some spare gear cleared out. I do a fair bit of virtualization stuff for work and this looks like a great combo for my specific purposes.

Exactly, for someone that does virtualization, this is a no brainer over a 7700K, however, for gamers, there's no reason to upgrade from your haswell (heck even Sandy) chip at the current prices unless you multi-task on your gaming machine, aka, you're a streamer.

However, ryzen 3 will be a whole different story (I hope)

sweenytodd March 2, 2017 07:34 AM

So happy that once again, AMD can be mentioned in between enthusiast cpus for productivity. As for gaming, looking forward to see Ryzen 5 and 3, they could be overclocked higher since of lower core count.

Soultribunal March 2, 2017 07:54 AM

It is good to see AMD back in the mix for CPU's. I hope this really gives Intel Pause and we can start seeing 'affordable' CPU's from them.

The memory concerns should work themselves out once enough Kits are out there that denote their Rank or are 'AMD specific'.
Otherwise, it looks like we have two choices again in the world. About bloody time.

-ST

Groove March 2, 2017 08:02 AM

AMD is back in the game and I'm impress with AMD's approach of future proofing the platform, it definitely has a lot of potential.

On the gaming front I think we all expected the fast four cores cpus to keep the performance crown, at least for now.

In terms of pricing though this is definitely impressive and if you account for the reasonable priced AM4 motherboards it's even more impressive!

lowfat March 2, 2017 08:21 AM

Read the info about the PCIe lanes and honestly stopped reading. I use a lot of expansion cards on my systems and I can see this won't suit my needs. Rather disappointed.

Tyrann March 2, 2017 08:27 AM

According to AMD, they're working on a Windows driver to help with gaming performance. So we can expect those gaming numbers to rise as they seem a bit lower than they should be.

Quote:

AMD firmly believes that they can improve gaming performance with Ryzen optimizations as all the games we tested with were optimized on Intel, so they feel the testing is one sided right now. They also have a Windows Driver coming in approximately one month that will help performance as the Windows High Precision Event Timer (HPET) isn’t playing nice with the SenseMI sensors that poll the CPU status every millisecond.

“AMD expects to create a simplified solution in the next month to set a Windows profile that pairs the optimum performance experienced in the High Performance power plan, with the energy efficiency experienced in the Balanced power plan.” – AMD

Source:
https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryz...view_191753/15

Overall i'm still waiting on Ryzen 5 for some 6 core action. I am hoping that one can OC above 4Ghz.

SKYMTL March 2, 2017 08:28 AM

You may want to wait for motherboards with PLX chips. Another option may be Naples which has a massively powerful chipset.

Dark Knight March 2, 2017 08:31 AM

SKYMTL the issue with memory compatibility has already been said it will fixed within a few months at the most. It just requires more mature bios updates to occur. It's not a weak memory controller but rather the current state of the bios being shipped to the consumers.