Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2017, 08:22 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes and no. Yes it sounds good and makes for a good headline... but 5960X is one gen old and soon to be two gens old. Not so impressive when you think about it that way.

Basically it comes down to what AMD wants it to be. Does it want to be a 2011 competitor (ie workstation) or a 115x competitor (home user). IMHO dual channel and low PCIe lane count makes it DOA for serious workstation use. I am reserving judgement on home use until the cheaper versions come out... and what Intel releases this year to compete against it. ;)

its a good start though and I am glad to see AMD back in the game so to speak. :)
I only care about the benches so my vision is skewed....or screwed, I guess. ....

Thanks for the considered response and all I can say is I'm happy AMD is back too. Performance per dollar...........
Old March 6, 2017, 08:15 AM
Rookie

As most agree, plenty of need and scope to evolve.

I wonder if AMD can achieve exclusive synergies from their dominance of GPUs?
Old March 6, 2017, 08:27 AM
Rookie

As a share holder for starters, AMD really need to get their finger out re claimed vs actual memory speeds, and compatability.

Wasting customers time and fibs are the cardinal sins in such product launches.
Old March 7, 2017, 08:14 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Jay's 2 cents does a really good video on the Ryzen. Take a look. I think the R7 1700 will be a good chip to get.
Old March 10, 2017, 11:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting video showing the difference between Win7 and Win10 scheduler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXS8rYwGzg

I know what OS I'll be installing when my mobo eventually ships.
Old March 10, 2017, 01:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Microsoft is apparently aware of the scheduling issues in Windows 10, so I'm betting this won't take long to patch.
Old March 10, 2017, 01:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Microsoft is apparently aware of the scheduling issues in Windows 10, so I'm betting this won't take long to patch.
Considering they had almost exactly the same issue with BD, I would have thought that ensuring this specific "bug" didn't occur with Ryzen would have been top of AMD's To-Do list. I'm by no means a Microsoft apologist, but in this case I believe the blame being directed towards them on this issue is misplaced.

As with any new hardware, it's up to the hardware manufacturer to either ensure that their hardware functions correctly under windows, or to provide some kind of driver support that resolves the issue.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM

Last edited by sswilson; March 10, 2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old March 11, 2017, 02:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default AMD Ryzen and the Windows 10 Scheduler - No Silver Bullet [PCPer]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Considering they had almost exactly the same issue with BD, I would have thought that ensuring this specific "bug" didn't occur with Ryzen would have been top of AMD's To-Do list. I'm by no means a Microsoft apologist, but in this case I believe the blame being directed towards them on this issue is misplaced.

As with any new hardware, it's up to the hardware manufacturer to either ensure that their hardware functions correctly under windows, or to provide some kind of driver support that resolves the issue.
Well, based on the latest from PC Perspective, their test appears to point the finger at how the CCX communicates, however, some in the comment section are saying that it is the RAM dependent (Infinity Fabric=RAM Frequency/2), while others are saying it is the Scheduler due to the different performance results between Win 7 and 10. Interestingly, a Windows dev chimed in on the process bouncing between threads - hot cache sacrificed over core availability: "The cache hotness cost is easily offset by the performance win of having the thread running even on a cache-cold CPU.".
Old March 30, 2017, 06:23 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Small update.

AMD is showing a good performance bump in their sponsored Ashes of the Singularity game with an update: https://community.amd.com/community/...unity-update-2

Some things to take into account:

A) This game has always been specifically tailored to AMD hardware.
B) Concurrent players is typically below 1000
C) The type of game (thousands of units onscreen) is rare at best but plays to the hardware's strengths. I'm super excited about what this could mean for something like Warhammer!
D) Plenty of talking heads will extrapolate this to mean ALL games could benefit. As has been discussed, specifically coding a game for a specific type of hardware sets a dangerous precedent.

DISCUSS!
Old March 30, 2017, 06:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Small update.

AMD is showing a good performance bump in their sponsored Ashes of the Singularity game with an update: https://community.amd.com/community/...unity-update-2

Some things to take into account:

A) This game has always been specifically tailored to AMD hardware.
B) Concurrent players is typically below 1000
C) The type of game (thousands of units onscreen) is rare at best but plays to the hardware's strengths. I'm super excited about what this could mean for something like Warhammer!
D) Plenty of talking heads will extrapolate this to mean ALL games could benefit. As has been discussed, specifically coding a game for a specific type of hardware sets a dangerous precedent.

DISCUSS!
It all depends on the nature of that coding IMO.

If the coding is specific to AMD (or Intel) processors and isn't something that the other team is likely to be able to replicate then yeah, that's a bad thing.

OTOH, if it's more along the lines of writing code that instead of being dependent on brute force core clock speed, takes full advantage of multiple discrete threads in an efficient manner then everybody wins.

PC coding seems to go through cycles where efficiency is thrown out the window in favour of letting brute force hardware improvements make up for spending time making tight code. It feels to me like we're currently in one of those periods of time.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM