Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2017, 04:55 PM
MVP

My System Specs

All in all, I'm not disappointed with AMD's effort here to be honest. I think that may read like I'm not overly impressed, but I really am, but I find it difficult to compare though as they're essentially pitting an 8 core chip against 4-6 cores and coming out well enough in a lot of ways. Price point wise it works, but it blurs the lines a little and maybe I'm finding myself looking at graphs that have model numbers like i'm supposed to know the specs of each model offhand like I used too. The fact that they can put out so many cores in 65/95w package is great, and I feel may hint at scalability over the products life-cycle which has me curious for the future

I do find that they still fall short on single threaded performance in a number of different tests though, but when multi-threaded with a few exceptions they do really well if that's what you're looking for, especially for that price point. If they could improve single-threaded performance some it would do them well.

Comparing apples to apples though, over AMD's previous generations, great step forward, and while I wouldn't jump on the R7 bandwagon having just jumped onto an X99/5930k this time last year, I think the R7 would be something that I would strongly consider for a number of reasons as it does seem to bring the right amount of competition.

I am really looking forward to see where the R3/R5 as well as Ryzen APU's come in though. I'd like to see what less cores at higher clocks look like on these, especially gaming wise. but R3/R5/APU's are probably where I'd be most likely to spend my money on AMD for that less critical spare machine in the house, or an HTPC provided the APU's have the right appear when they come later this year is it?

Last edited by stlouis1; March 2, 2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old March 3, 2017, 12:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Good first part SKYMTL, look forward to the second part with all the OC details.

Personally, I look forward to vendors/manufactures releasing non "gaming" motherboards. Based on the reviews, it looks like they got it backwards, releasing gaming boards for the R7 (workstation/prosumer) processor; while the (gaming) R5 will not come out til Q2. Hopefully by then ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. will release their non-gaming boards, with all the bells and whistles minus the flash (no need for RGB, "shields" and "armors") - one can hope.
Old March 3, 2017, 04:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

SKYMTL isn't it possible to simulate R3/R5 simply by disabling cores?
Old March 3, 2017, 04:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
SKYMTL isn't it possible to simulate R3/R5 simply by disabling cores?
Good question.
Old March 3, 2017, 05:53 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

A simulation is great....but without know frequency and SenseMI settings those new "smaller" processors have, those simulations could produce terribly unbalanced results.
Old March 3, 2017, 06:27 AM

And so it begins:

AMD-certified Flare and Fortis memory from G.SKILL: https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view...-for-amd-ryzen

Up to 64GB @ 3200MHz. I wonder what the motherboards will actually boot at without higher voltages.
Old March 3, 2017, 06:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
And so it begins:

AMD-certified Flare and Fortis memory from G.SKILL: https://www.gskill.com/en/press/view...-for-amd-ryzen

Up to 64GB @ 3200MHz. I wonder what the motherboards will actually boot at without higher voltages.
Hopefully it works as intended!

Extremetech shut off SMT and benched Ashes of the Singularity and performance went UP, presumably due to core speed changes through XFR, though nothing in the review explicitly states that, and testing time for them was limited, so we'll see.

I will probably go with your suggestion to get a 1700 and see what kind of OC I can achieve.

One thing I find funny with all the comments on different forums is that people are simply equating IPC with lower gaming performance, but I don't think this is actually the case.

Either way I want it, because MOAR cores.

Xeven: How about 10^8.450980400142567e-001 -as a possible replacement for "10e"

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=71732
Old March 3, 2017, 06:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow look at those timings too. 64GB 3200 @ 14-14-14-34 CR1.
Old March 3, 2017, 07:02 AM

Just talked to G.Skill about their speeds. Modules will automatically boot with AMD-set speeds of "up to" 2667MHz. Getting them past that will be a matter of overclocking.

As for SMT, I'm trying to understand why that's news at all since the same thing happens with all processors in certain games.

As a matter of fact, you can see that in some of our results as well:

Quad core Intel processor (7600K) at slightly lower clocks beats out the hyper-threaded 7700K

Same here:

I'll keep parroting this again and again: its better to get a native quad core, non-HT / SMT processor for gaming. People seem to be finally waking up to that fact.
Old March 3, 2017, 07:15 AM
Rookie

Been busy and got here late.
Thanks for another excellent review SKYMTL.