Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2017, 07:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default ASUS Maximus IX Hero Motherboard Review Comment Thread

Buyers of Intel's new Kaby Lake processors already have a huge number of Z270 options but the ASUS MAXIMUS IX Hero stands apart with an awesome combination of features and pricing.

Read more here: ASUS Maximus IX Hero Motherboard Review

I'm finally back and alive after the CES Plague......
Old January 16, 2017, 09:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
MemTweakIt is memory tweaking tool which allows for modification of just about every primary and secondary memory timing within Windows....
Hasn't this been inaccurate for years?
Old January 16, 2017, 09:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice review Mac, and a nice board from Asus.

/mutters "I'm skipping Kaby Lake, I'm skipping Kaby Lake", heads for garage
Old January 16, 2017, 10:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post

The Z270 release has actually got me thinking the next chipset coming should be a enthuisast board (X299). Might actually upgrade for that. I've been wanting an excuse for a Phanteks case for a while anyway...
Old January 17, 2017, 05:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post

This ^^ The upgrade urge... But I guess if we didn't want to it wouldn't be a hobby!

Nice review again. The motherboard picture was oriented horizontally instead of vertically... blew my mind man! There are things in the new motherboards that are attractive but again, I certainly don't "need" them given my current hardware and the performance I am getting.

FreeKnight, are you "My System Specs" accurate? If so still running a 920 is definitely getting your money out of that chip. My 920 is still running in my daughter's PC. Still working aok.
Old January 17, 2017, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
[I]Buyers of Intel's new Kaby Lake processors already have a huge number of Z270 options :
With a BIOS update they also have a huge number of options to choose from the 100 series as well, some of them even with DDR3! The user percentage going for nvme drives is so small, that probably going for Optane is gonna be even smaller.
Old January 17, 2017, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysrin View Post
This ^^ The upgrade urge... But I guess if we didn't want to it wouldn't be a hobby!

Nice review again. The motherboard picture was oriented horizontally instead of vertically... blew my mind man! There are things in the new motherboards that are attractive but again, I certainly don't "need" them given my current hardware and the performance I am getting.

FreeKnight, are you "My System Specs" accurate? If so still running a 920 is definitely getting your money out of that chip. My 920 is still running in my daughter's PC. Still working aok.
Haha, no that's like 3 builds ago .

Currently a Z97 with a 4790k. GPU has changed a few times since. The X58 was decent, particularly when I picked up a used 970 chip for it, but I eventually wanted PCIe 3.0 and onboard USB 3.

Though that reminds me I should update those
Old January 17, 2017, 06:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
Haha, no that's like 3 builds ago .

Currently a Z97 with a 4790k. GPU has changed a few times since. The X58 was decent, particularly when I picked up a used 970 chip for it, but I eventually wanted PCIe 3.0 and onboard USB 3.

Though that reminds me I should update those
Bingo! That is a better looking set of specs
Old January 17, 2017, 09:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Great review as always Mac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeKnight View Post
The Z270 release has actually got me thinking the next chipset coming should be a enthuisast board (X299). Might actually upgrade for that. I've been wanting an excuse for a Phanteks case for a while anyway...
Yup, me too. I love the idea of NVME, and some other stuff, but I'm not upgrading yet. X299 might be worth making the jump into though, depending on the prices of CPUs with 40 PCIE lanes (Intel has been raping us on those things with X99).
Old March 5, 2017, 09:30 AM
Trial Member

How come at the bottom of the overclocking page you didn't mention that the mobo would not boot with 2 sticks of 4000 mhz?
And thats why you used 1 stick of 8GB RAM.

I swear these reviewers are all about protecting the manufacturers interests. They only mention negative points if it doesn't hurt the product badly.
This is a $300 board that fails with high speed ram unless you populate it with 4 sticks or single stick.