Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2016, 06:06 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default The AMD Athlon X4 880K Review (Comment Thread)

AMD's new Athlon X4 880K may not have a performance-oriented nameplate but this may be the perfect CPU for a low cost gaming build and it even offers overclocking.

Read more here: The AMD Athlon X4 880K Review

Awesome budget CPU.......
Old March 28, 2016, 10:55 PM
MVP

First thing I looked for was the noise performance of the new included cooler. :(
Old March 29, 2016, 01:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree that you can make a budget gamer with AMD CPUs like this, but the bottom line is there is no upgrade path...if you ever want a better CPU you need a new platform. Whereas a pentium has a simple upgrade path depending on your budget.

I am excited for AMDs new common socket and die shrunk CPUs. I suspect I may be recommended some APUs/CPUs then (atleast I hope so).
Old March 29, 2016, 04:45 AM
Rookie

This is a newer CPU. But you are not using dx12 gaming benchmarks like ashes of the singularity or gears of war ue. You're not using hitman benchmarks or tomb raider. So I don't see how you can conclude fairly it accurately the potential of a CPU meant for gaming when current games aren't even being tested. You're using old games with old dx11 API. As for the overclocking if you arrived at a determination that your mobo prevents you from fully ocing this chip then why not use a different board/manufacturer?
Old March 29, 2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
This is a newer CPU. But you are not using dx12 gaming benchmarks like ashes of the singularity or gears of war ue. You're not using hitman benchmarks or tomb raider. So I don't see how you can conclude fairly it accurately the potential of a CPU meant for gaming when current games aren't even being tested. You're using old games with old dx11 API. As for the overclocking if you arrived at a determination that your mobo prevents you from fully ocing this chip then why not use a different board/manufacturer?
At this time, I am using the games which eat up the most CPU resources. Right now DX12 games really don't use all that much in the way of CPU cycles versus many of their DX11 counterparts due to a large amount of calculations being done locally on the GPU. I have Ashes, Tomb Raider and Gears in my library and all of them have exceedingly low CPU usage patterns. Once a game (or games) use more concurrent multithreading rather than GPU compute for various low level calculations I'll be sure to add them.

As for the overclocking, it wasn't the motherboard as a tried Gigabyte and ASrock A88X boards as well as different memory modules.
Old March 29, 2016, 06:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
At this time, I am using the games which eat up the most CPU resources. Right now DX12 games really don't use all that much in the way of CPU cycles versus many of their DX11 counterparts due to a large amount of calculations being done locally on the GPU. I have Ashes, Tomb Raider and Gears in my library and all of them have exceedingly low CPU usage patterns. Once a game (or games) use more concurrent multithreading rather than GPU compute for various low level calculations I'll be sure to add them.

As for the overclocking, it wasn't the motherboard as a tried Gigabyte and ASrock A88X boards as well as different memory modules.

Fine I'll concede that you used different mobos although I don't recall you mentioning it before. It may be that you need to adjust or raise CPU voltage for higher overclocking anyway and I wouldn't expect you to do so unless this was a review specific to how that chip overclocking. Still however if you own those dx12 titles I mentioned it's better to demonstrate this chip's performance using them instead of dx11 games. In 6 months dx11 won't even be sold by game publishers. DX12 & Mantle are the new APIs and this chip will still be sold in stores well after 6 months. So again it begs the question why not show what this gaming chip can do in conjunction with a discrete GPU on DX12 gaming. You can throw all that other verbage out the window as there's no logical excuse not to do so. Just my opinion.
Old March 29, 2016, 06:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladespi187 View Post
Fine I'll concede that you used different mobos although I don't recall you mentioning it before. It may be that you need to adjust or raise CPU voltage for higher overclocking anyway and I wouldn't expect you to do so unless this was a review specific to how that chip overclocking. Still however if you own those dx12 titles I mentioned it's better to demonstrate this chip's performance using them instead of dx11 games. In 6 months dx11 won't even be sold by game publishers. DX12 & Mantle are the new APIs and this chip will still be sold in stores well after 6 months. So again it begs the question why not show what this gaming chip can do in conjunction with a discrete GPU on DX12 gaming. You can throw all that other verbage out the window as there's no logical excuse not to do so. Just my opinion.
Sure there is.

You never play 'old' games?

I just fired up Portal 2 for a replay this week.

Anyways, the CPU actually looks fairly attractive for its price point and performance. I should probably keep a close eye on AMD offerings. I'm just such a performance whore though :(
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old March 29, 2016, 06:27 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Sure there is.

You never play 'old' games?

I just fired up Portal 2 for a replay this week.

Anyways, the CPU actually looks fairly attractive for its price point and performance. I should probably keep a close eye on AMD offerings. I'm just such a performance whore though :(

And I say to you I certainly play old games. I still play skyrim. But this is a newer chip and I think anyone purchasing a gaming chip has enough forethought to ask themselves a simple question. How might this newer chip perform on newer games being released. That's my point. I don't think folks ask themselves how might this newer chip perform on skyrim and portal which are a couple years old games and demand less powerful PC hardware. Anyway it's you guys review not mine. But you might want to demonstrate newer games with the newer API is all I am saying.
Old March 29, 2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Fine I'll concede that you used different mobos although I don't recall you mentioning it before. It may be that you need to adjust or raise CPU voltage for higher overclocking anyway and I wouldn't expect you to do so unless this was a review specific to how that chip overclocking.
Voltage increases didn't help either unfortunately. I've been overclocking AMD processors since the DFI LanParty SLI-DR Expert days and this one has been the most frustrating so far.

Quote:
Still however if you own those dx12 titles I mentioned it's better to demonstrate this chip's performance using them instead of dx11 games. In 6 months dx11 won't even be sold by game publishers. DX12 & Mantle are the new APIs and this chip will still be sold in stores well after 6 months. So again it begs the question why not show what this gaming chip can do in conjunction with a discrete GPU on DX12 gaming. You can throw all that other verbage out the window as there's no logical excuse not to do so. Just my opinion.
There's logic and then there's sensibility. DX11 isn't going anywhere any time soon. DX12 rollout will be gradual and we'll still see the vast majority of titles remaining on DX9 (yes, DX9) for the foreseeable future. Remember, even now for every DX11 AAA game being launched, there are dozens of smaller yet nonetheless very popular titles. I personally err on the side of showing worst case scenarios which is why those titles are being used.

The sensible part of that equation is straightforward: I NEVER add newer games to reviews. The reason for that is relatively simple: their performance metrics are too fluid. Patches are continually being released for those titles which directly affects their performance, thus leading to the benchmark numbers being completely out of date almost the second they're released. When a patch is rolled out right in the middle of testing the situation becomes even worse since it forces a complete retest scenario for all CPUs. Figure 15 minutes of testing per CPU per game multiplied by 15 CPUs; that's an additional 4 hours not counting system change-outs. Its just not a worthwhile use of time considering how inaccurate the results would be.

Just to give you an idea of how this affects overall time management and review rollout, we are plunging back into gaming notebook reviews with a 3-way roundup. Tomb Raider, Battlefront and The Division are part of the testing suite. So far I've lost a good 15 hours testing and retesting due to patches and driver updates for improved performance and I know by the time the next notebooks arrive, those numbers may be woefully out of date AGAIN, making comparative performance analysis all but impossible. That's just not acceptable.
Old March 29, 2016, 07:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For those who haven't been following FM2 closely, is the A88X motherboard variation the most recent?

Pricing is currently $120 @ NCIX with many new(er) chipset motherboards coming in at around $100 for a sub $250 post tax total.

I dunno though... not a huge difference in price between that and a FX-6300 package with 3.5(ish) full cores and 6 threads.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 1X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / Uncased 256GB Sandisk Z400S SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 24" Westinghouse L2410NM