My System Specs

Default got a big problem

couldn't boot up the system,
the fans and everything turn on but no display at all
now i've tried the one ram method,
swap harddrive method,
swap monitor method
all these were test and its fine..
from what i think it might be the motherboard video controller since the computer uses onboard graphics

here's are the specs
roughly
its a AMD 4400xp
2 gig ram from 3 sticks
1 of them is a 1 gig kingston
MB is ASUS M2A-VM
Old May 16, 2008, 02:18 PM
Top Prospect

Does it do the BIP sound after Posting? Or is it just not posting at all? Did you recently do anything, change a component, update your Bios, drop the case, anything that could have created a material or physical disturbance of the computer? Can you try a discrete video card, or do you have only access the onboard video?

Franck
Old May 16, 2008, 02:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i think he jsut built it, do u hear any high pitch noises like barely audible cause it could mean a bad cap on the board, tell us your beep codes if your hearing any, u should hear at lest one beep to show its posting. Oh and please list your hardware and config thanks and u took the sticker off the cpu right lol i always ask this. been away from the scene for a while so i hope this helps.
Old May 16, 2008, 02:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the comp has been around for atleast half a year and it suddenly didnt post or boot up
so if anything there shouldn't be any physical daamage
another thing is i have tried attaching a video card taken from my other comp yet it still dosen't show anything on display.
the light on the mb is on
the cpu fan works but there is a high pitch noise i believe that contrinues
Old May 16, 2008, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

Have you tryed to clear your bios? There is a jumper to change place. You should read CLRTC on the mother board in the location of this jumper header. First you unplug the computer, then take the battery out, and switch the jumper. You wait 5 seconds to make sure it clear properly. Put the jumper back in place, put the battery, plug her and start her up again. This should reset your BIOS to factoy defaults. If nothing goes on, it's not a verry good sign. it's important you tell us if you get any audio signals, even if it's the single bip after the computer finished it's post sequence. If you don't get that single BIP, it is another bad sign. Try booting with no memory at all, this should give you an audio error code, some thing like "biiiiiiip, bip bip" if I am correct. If the mother board does not recognize that you have no memory in it, man You just have gotten a dead mother board on your hands. ASUS most likely has 3 year warranty, so you could RMA it.

Franck
Old May 16, 2008, 03:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

now the comp will boot up for 10 seconds then close on itself with one beep
other than that there is no audio sequence im noticing other than the high pitch noise
also motherboard light is on
from what i can tell and what i have tried
it's either the motherboard or the cpu that has problems
Old May 16, 2008, 03:09 PM
Top Prospect

May you suspect the power supply? or is it absolutely out of the question? They are responsible for some weird problems that are sometimes hard to diagnose. Often high pitched noise come from them when they go berzerk.
Old May 16, 2008, 03:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ive tried swapping psu as well
Old May 16, 2008, 03:45 PM
Top Prospect

From what I get, I would strongly suspect the motherboard. Lets see what the others think about it.

Para
Old May 17, 2008, 08:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried with no memory at all and tell us the beep code/ow many beeps. That would probably narrow it down to mobo.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."