Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2016, 05:16 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Intel Skylake i5-6500, i5-6400 & i3-6100 Review (Comment Thread)

The i7-6700K may be the prima donna of Intel's SKylake family, the i5-6500, i5-6400 and i3-6100 cost much less and still provide very good performance in games and benchmarks.

Read more here: Intel Skylake i5-6500, i5-6400 & i3-6100 Review

Old February 22, 2016, 08:16 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Same thing I've said before...

Intel, Y U no i3-K?

Seriously, Intel could sell shedloads of i3-Ks. Admittedly at the expensive of some i5 sales, but a lower price means they might make it up in volume.
Old February 22, 2016, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Of course they would, look at Walmart. But greed tends to make people stupid.
Old February 22, 2016, 09:18 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

That assumes there is enough i3's to bin. Remember a chip that is 'perfect' become i7K's those that fail to be that become regular i7's, those that fail that become i5K's, those that fail become regular i5's.... those that cant be i5's become i3's. There might just not be enough to warrant the extra binning of the i3 chips. Plus it would rob from Pent as well as i5 sales. Thats lose-lose-lose for Intel. Ie why spend more binning chips when it would just cost them sales elsewhere?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 22, 2016, 09:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sure. But if you dedicate more "perfect" silicon to i3's you will sell more. Much more than a 500+ dollar niche chip. Why dedicate so much just to have i7's collect dust as the i3's or non-K i5's fly off the shelves?
Old February 22, 2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Sure. But if you dedicate more "perfect" silicon to i3's you will sell more. Much more than a 500+ dollar niche chip. Why dedicate so much just to have i7's collect dust as the i3's or non-K i5's fly off the shelves?
So, just so I understand correctly. Intel should take the cream of the crop of every wafer... and sell them for not only less then they are worth... but less than the near perfect chips?

Considering there is not a glut of i7s I don't see that happening in any universe. Those 'niche' products help pay for the RnD that went into that chip. Look we all want 'free' stuff. But that is just Bernie Sanders level economics.

Seriously why would any company do that?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 22, 2016, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You think it's the i7's and not the i3's and i5's or the low power parts that pay for the R&D? I don't know what the ratio of non-K vs K parts sold are but I'm willing to be it's orders of magnitude larger in favour of the lesser parts. i.e. the bulk of Intel's profits.

And no, I don't mean to knee the i7's, just don't want them to intentionally knee the lower end to get more people to buy their "K" processors at inflated prices. It's bad form and bad business imho.
Old February 23, 2016, 12:59 AM

Once again. You are making assumptions.

You are assuming that Intel are not making i3 K's just because they don't have to. Not because they cant do so and be profitable. Intel are not known for their poor business practices. If they could do so AND make more profit they would.

You are assuming that there are plenty of chips that only have two working cores but can also be overclocked enough to pass Intel's 'K' screening process. Not all chips can pass this extra screening.

Based on wafer fab breakdowns of previous gens... that is a small portion. BUT to find these golden chips they would have to bin ALL i3s. It takes time and money to bin chips. Is there enough profit to cover such binning on low margin chips? It is doubtful. Maybe as an 'anniversary edition' limited run... but not as standard SKU.

What more than likely would have to occur is they would have to take from i5 binned chips (the bulk of any fab) to ensure volume levels and product orders could be met. This happens all the time as it is. Good example was AMD selling x3's which were x4s just to make quotas. That is poor business practices and Intel only does it on an emergency basis... not as part of an overall sales plan.

However, even if they didn't have to do that. It would still make ALL i5 and ALL i3's more expensive - as the std i5s and std i3s would be more rare, the overhead of the binning would have to be shared across the entire product line AND they would have to make room in the price lineup between the i5 and i3 for the i3K... as few outside of enthusiasts would pay MORE for an i3K than a standard i5. Hell there would be such a PR backlash from that and cries of 'highway robbery' that Intel would have to have a separate PR campaign to justify the i3K!.... further making i5 and i3s more expensive.

Look There is no such thing as free lunch. As the production becomes more mature sure the numbers / profits would increase that they could potentially this (especially with zero competition from AMD) but why bother? Why do more work to make less profit... and no volume would not make up for it. Every i3K sale would be taken from i5 and i5K potential sales. The i7 and i5 is where the PROFIT is. The i3 is just to satisfy a niche (to compete against AMD) and to make some measure of money back on otherwise wasted chips.... as once again the i3 is nearly at the bottom of the binning process.

Old February 23, 2016, 01:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

i5 6500. That's all I am going to say.
Old February 23, 2016, 05:54 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There's another possibility as well: its easy to push folks to a higher priced SKU when more affordable alternatives simply aren't available in meaningful volumes.

Accordingly to every report I've seen, yields on Skylake are absolute shit. That means a huge number of chips can't reach the high speed bins needed for the 8-core i7-6700K. Meanwhile, we've seen continual shortages of the i5 and i3 series.