Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 14, 2008, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

My Xeon E3110 (similar to E8400) bios shows the CPU idle at about 38-44 C on the P5K depending on the room temperature without any rear exhaust fans. After installing rear exhaust fan the temperature CPU temperature drop about 3 C. I will probably upgrade the CPU heatsink because the fan noise is still driving me nuts!

Paphman910
Old May 17, 2008, 03:21 AM
Top Prospect

I'm just curious, not that this will have a whole lot to do with it but, would you be able to take a picture of the stock heatsink on the E8400 and post it. I just got an E7200 (also 45nm but the 3mb cache one) and it has the same "cut down" heatsink that you would get on a Pentium Dual Core ect. I still have one left over from my E6750 that I never used because I just went with aftermarket right away, and that one looks to be hands down the better cooler compared to the one that came with the E7200 (its the big one that has the copper bottom). I am just wondering weather the switched the rest of the 45nm CPUs over the the small heatsink aswell.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bandit87 View Post
I'm just curious, not that this will have a whole lot to do with it but, would you be able to take a picture of the stock heatsink on the E8400 and post it. I just got an E7200 (also 45nm but the 3mb cache one) and it has the same "cut down" heatsink that you would get on a Pentium Dual Core ect. I still have one left over from my E6750 that I never used because I just went with aftermarket right away, and that one looks to be hands down the better cooler compared to the one that came with the E7200 (its the big one that has the copper bottom). I am just wondering weather the switched the rest of the 45nm CPUs over the the small heatsink aswell.
They did and it works very well.

I had my 8400 upto 3.8ghz before the stock cooler met its thermal limits.
Old May 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bandit87 View Post
Here's 2 views:(sorry for lack of clarity)

Left is E6600, Center is E8400, and right is E2160.

From this view, you can really see the fan differences.The E6600's has 9 small blades. The E8400's has 7 small blades. The E2160's has 7 big blades. No Copper.