Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2015, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans View Post
It's definitely the MSI Z17A Gaming M5, so not the pro. And I assume this download will be the correct one?
Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

I guess this is the E7977.140 ? Which should be the correct one, I guess.

I've actually never done a BIOS update, that's why I'm double checking here.
Could you perhaps give a small step by step tutorial on how I set my USB ready for the update?
Or is the one I linked in the previous post the correct way to do it (ofc using the correct download) ?

Once again, thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it, you have no idea how much.
I just need to be sure I do it correctly and hopefully get it working, else I'll have to send it back and use the warranty.

EDIT: I just noticed the "How to flash the BIOS ( SOP Download)" at the bottom of the page.
So I'll follow that manual tonight unless there is something else I need to know or keep in mind?
E7977IMS.140 is the correct file for your MB bios version 1.4 un zip it to usb stik

boot in to bios and with file in usb 2.0 port update from M flash Note the wording in their is wrong you have to match Model and motherboard REVISION not bios version for my first post chevy in a ford will happen
Attached Images

Old September 24, 2015, 11:12 PM
Rookie

I'm happy to announce that updating the BIOS to 1.4 has resolved the problem.

I honestly don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Because it was a slightly newer version than my friend's I didn't consider a bug being implemented. This entire experience has been very educative and has prepared me a lot for future installations.

I'd like to once again thank everyone for the feedback and help that was given.
Old September 25, 2015, 03:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

great now you can enjoy gaming till 2am lol

seems the model and revisions of MB not mentioned in manuals has caused a lot of DOA MB's for many people thinking model is all you need
Old October 23, 2015, 08:27 AM
Rookie

Default Differences between the MSI Z170A Gaming M5 vs MSI Z170A-G45 Gaming

Hello,

are you aware of the diferences of your tested mainboard and the MSI Z170A-G45 Gaming ?

There is no differences in the Specs of this Board (@ MSI Webpage) vs your tested one.
If you compare pictures you see the G45 has a smaller chipset cooler and none at the audio chip. Yet I consider this to be the only difference, for say some EUR 10-15 less in price.

Are you aware of any other difference ?

Next question I have is with regard to Audio capabbilites. I use an external USB Attached audio solution (Teufel B200). I consider using the advanced auto features is only possible if you the attach the loudspeaker directly through the audio connectors of the mainboard. Am I right in this respect ?

Kind regards
Starbuck
Old October 23, 2015, 09:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

USB audio is considered a stand-alone solution and any upgraded audio components on the board itself WILL NOT have an impact on external solutions.

There are indeed differences between the two boards.

The G45 does not have the following:

The Nahimic Audio Enhancer
1 year of included X-Split Gamecaster access

Those two items could hold some value for certain gamers.