Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2015, 04:52 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Have you initialized the SSD? I know some SanDisk SSDs had this issue. If you have another system with Windows already installed, install the SSD as a secondary drive and boot Windows Disk Manager. Crucial has a good guide here: How to initialize your SSD (Windows) - Crucial Community
Old September 23, 2015, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

problem will be corrected with an bios update just wait for then to update
Old September 23, 2015, 11:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Have you initialized the SSD? I know some SanDisk SSDs had this issue. If you have another system with Windows already installed, install the SSD as a secondary drive and boot Windows Disk Manager. Crucial has a good guide here: How to initialize your SSD (Windows) - Crucial Community
It's a brand new SSD and it got found on my friends motherboard which is also an MSI Z17A Gaming M5.
Yet for some reason it's not found on mine, not when installing Windows nor in the BIOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
problem will be corrected with an bios update just wait for then to update
You don't think this could be a factory defect? You believe it's the BIOS version?
I believe you might actually be right, as I checked the BIOS of my friends motherboard and his is an older version.
  • Friends BIOS version: E7977IMS.100
  • My BIOS version: E7977IMS.110
How do I update my BIOS to the latest version (or downgrade it)?
Do I follow this tutorial ?

Last edited by Oceans; September 23, 2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old September 24, 2015, 03:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

Caution first have to check your motherboard Revision you'll see it printed on MB (Rev.X.XX) reason is MSI 0r others MB maker's uses different chip manufactors with same model #

if use wrong file the MB will be brain dead for you trans planted a chevy brain in a ford

and the usb stick have it formatted fat 16 for dos update or use the windows app from msi "update utility"

E7984IMS.140 is see is current if you got Z170A GAMING PRO MB double check info before any updating
Old September 24, 2015, 04:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
Caution first have to check your motherboard Revision you'll see it printed on MB (Rev.X.XX) reason is MSI 0r others MB maker's uses different chip manufactors with same model #

if use wrong file the MB will be brain dead for you trans planted a chevy brain in a ford

and the usb stick have it formatted fat 16 for dos update or use the windows app from msi "update utility"

E7984IMS.140 is see is current if you got Z170A GAMING PRO MB double check info before any updating
It's definitely the MSI Z17A Gaming M5, so not the pro. And I assume this download will be the correct one?
Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design

I guess this is the E7977.140 ? Which should be the correct one, I guess.

I've actually never done a BIOS update, that's why I'm double checking here.
Could you perhaps give a small step by step tutorial on how I set my USB ready for the update?
Or is the one I linked in the previous post the correct way to do it (ofc using the correct download) ?

Once again, thanks a lot for the help. I really appreciate it, you have no idea how much.
I just need to be sure I do it correctly and hopefully get it working, else I'll have to send it back and use the warranty.

EDIT: I just noticed the "How to flash the BIOS ( SOP Download)" at the bottom of the page.
So I'll follow that manual tonight unless there is something else I need to know or keep in mind?
Old September 24, 2015, 04:37 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Version 1.4 seems to be to most recent version and it explicitly says "- Improved NVME device compatibility."

To update the bios, you normally can simply copy the bios update file on a usb key. Leave the key plugged in, reboot, enter the bios and go to the bios update wizard. It should normally ask you where the bios update file is, select the usb option then select update. You'll get some kind of progress bar and your system might reboot several times.

Motherboard makers do have other ways around updating the bios but I've personally always done it via the bios wizard update tool.
Old September 24, 2015, 05:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groove View Post
Version 1.4 seems to be to most recent version and it explicitly says "- Improved NVME device compatibility."

To update the bios, you normally can simply copy the bios update file on a usb key. Leave the key plugged in, reboot, enter the bios and go to the bios update wizard. It should normally ask you where the bios update file is, select the usb option then select update. You'll get some kind of progress bar and your system might reboot several times.

Motherboard makers do have other ways around updating the bios but I've personally always done it via the bios wizard update tool.
This can be just any USB stick right? Or do I need a specific format?

I really hope this solves everything.

Not to be a downer, but what if this still doesn't fix it? Do I send it back and use the warranty or is there anything else I could try?
Old September 24, 2015, 05:16 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

With all of the new BIOS update utilities, the USB drive doesn't have to be formatted. If Windows sees the drive, so will the BIOS. Simply copy / paste the BIOS file into the main directory of the USB drive (you may have to unzip it), head into the M-Flash section and let it do all the heavy lifting.
Old September 24, 2015, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There is a very good chance this UEFI update will rectify your issue. Beyond this, the only final thing you can try is unplugging the cable from your PSU to kill power to the rig, and pulling the CMOS battery for about 10 min. While this is an old method that really shouldn't bear any relevance these days, this was the only thing that allowed me to properly reset an Asus Z87i-Deluxe board that refused to properly operate the USB BIOS Flashback button on the back I/O.

Old September 24, 2015, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

use usb 2.0

not usb3.0 for it won't work