Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   CPU's and Motherboards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/)
-   -   ASRock Penryn1600SLIX3-Wifi Review Comment Thread (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cpus-motherboards/7012-asrock-penryn1600slix3-wifi-review-comment-thread.html)

SKYMTL May 13, 2008 06:04 AM

ASRock Penryn1600SLIX3-Wifi Review Comment Thread

In his reviewer debut, Eldonko has taken on ASRock's 680i-based enthusiast motherboard which is aptly named the Penryn1600SLIX3-Wifi. All in all it seems like a solid offering from ASRock...now if only they would get around to SHIPPING the thing to distributors. :ph34r:

You can find the review here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...rd-review.html

Enjoy!!!

:thumb:

JD May 13, 2008 07:18 AM

Seems like a fairly cheap way to get x16 SLI, but I think it's a bit late to introduce the 680i into their lineup...

I've never been a fan of ASRock's layout/design either. All the writing on the board and the ATX power connector is always in the most stupid place IMO.

One thing I would of liked to see in the review is a comparison to a reference 680i board or something to see if ASRock's BIOS is a better implementation or not.

Overall though, good review Eldonko, I'm sure your next ones will be even better :thumb:

SKYMTL May 13, 2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 57350)
One thing I would of liked to see in the review is a comparison to a reference 680i board or something to see if ASRock's BIOS is a better implementation or not.

I would have too but at the time we received the sample, we didn't have a standard 680i mobo on hand and the two people I know who had them were in the process of RMAing them. :sad:

encorp May 13, 2008 08:03 AM

Quote:

Isn't ASRock as subsidiary of ASUS? I guess budget boards means budget employees? I figured given ASUS' track record that if they were going to do a budget line/subsidiary they'd do it differently; I have no real complaints with this board - it's a budget one and you get what you pay for. I just think of all people ASUS might be able to do a project like this with more pizaz(sp?).
Edit: I'm wrong, I was googling to find out and it appears that ASRock is entirely it's own company and that ASUS dosn't like them much. Hahaha
Soo, scratch what i said!

SKYMTL May 13, 2008 08:30 AM

Actually, I believe ASRock was a subsidiary of ASUS until a little whole ago. Then the owners of ASRock decided to break off their ties to ASUS and forge out on their own.

I could be mistaken though.

Eldonko May 13, 2008 10:56 AM

Ah, my first real review /tear

Its a pretty good board overall I think, lots on nice features and such. The fsb walls are the limiting factor but if you dont need 4Ghz (a regular person doesnt heh) that is no big deal.

3oh6 May 13, 2008 11:29 AM

very nicely done Zac, welcome to the bigs my friend :thumb:

Eldonko May 13, 2008 12:04 PM

Thanks Jody, Im just waiting for yours to be posted so I look bad hehe. ;) Next one will be tested 100% on Vista 64, for vantage purposes.

1Tanker May 13, 2008 11:26 PM

Nice job, Eldonko. :thumb: I have 2 ASRock mobo's...775DUAL-VSTA, and 4CoreDual-SATA2,and while not good overclockers.. they're a helluva good value. They are also very stable, and as you stated "do what they promise". I've had the 775DUAL-VSTA for ~14 months w/E6600@ 2674(no mods)... and no probs. Anyways.. back O/T, it looks like a decent board.. depending on the final price. The NB temps seem to be a serious issue :blarg:, though a well-placed fan will probably solve that. I'm very skeptical of it running a QX9770 though, since your Wolfie topped out @ 400FSB... and the Quad would be far more stressful on the VRM's/MOSFET's.

Edit: Did it really take 1.35v+ to run the Wolfdale @ 3.6?:shok: That's putrid.:blarg:

Eldonko May 14, 2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Tanker (Post 57559)
Did it really take 1.35v+ to run the Wolfdale @ 3.6?:shok: That's putrid.:blarg:

Nah, chip does that @ stock vcore, I just wanted a little extra volts to test the vreg and heat.