Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 26, 2014, 06:10 PM
Rookie

Default Asus RMA experiences?

Hi everyone,

I have a P8Z77-V LK board that I have to RMA, I was getting static in the audio, LAN completely disappearing from the system, etc. I took the board out of my case today removed the CPU and noticed that I had a single bent right in the in the middle of the of the patch of pins. Nothing around it seems to be bent either. I haven't touched the socket since I put the CPU in there so I don't know how the hell that happened.

I've contacted Asus about RMA'ing the board for the previous issues above and got it approved. Does anyone have any experience dealing with their RMA department? How anal are they? The last time I RMA'd anything to Asus was over 4 years ago and it was before they had a repair center in Markham Ontario.

Any suggestions, tips, stories would be great.
Old November 27, 2014, 07:02 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Take photos of the board in question, how you package it etc, and I personally do, if possible, put some kind of mark on it this way here you know if the board you get back is the same one you sent them at your cost.
I have never personally RMA back to Asus, but twice now I know I was in the wrong and they would have repaired/replaced at their cost the product in question as it was still under full warranty.

My buddy however recently went through crud with Asus trying to get them to repair his board, if I recall it was something wrong with the memory as one day it was working just fine, next the power and everything were not working correctly, this was with an i7 950 and P6X58(do not recall if was D, E whatever) he replaced his PSU, hard-drives etc as they seemed to not be working correctly when he tested on other systems, went through cost and all that of getting RMA on those parts, he got them back like 3 weeks later, tested, same issue, lights would blink on then nada, he sent board back to them, waited on the bill for lack of better term, they told him it would cost $160 to "fix" the board, he did not have many options I believe it was back 3 months ago, we looked to find a board that his chip could drop in and good to go we could not find one for a decent price (all were ~$340+) so he decided to get them to do it, he lost all faith in them as a company as the warranty on said board was up by I believe it was 10 days at the time and it just up and essentially died, never got hot, he kept it very clean etc.

The thing is, in his case being USA might be different then us Canadians dealing with them, in his case, they told him cost and said something like "bad contact on DIMM sockets caused a short" beyond this after he paid the price they never got back to him when he asked a couple of times for actual reasoning why he paid what he did.

Anyways, I know myself I now use MSI for graphics, and thinking next motherboard might be as well, I had dealt with an MSI RMA ~9 months ago, no questions asked really, sent them other gpu (7870 TF III OC) they sent me a brand new one sealed and everything. So, if board is out of warranty expect to pay for it :( but if still under warranty well you should be fine.
Old November 27, 2014, 02:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGM92 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a P8Z77-V LK board that I have to RMA, I was getting static in the audio, LAN completely disappearing from the system, etc. I took the board out of my case today removed the CPU and noticed that I had a single bent right in the in the middle of the of the patch of pins. Nothing around it seems to be bent either. I haven't touched the socket since I put the CPU in there so I don't know how the hell that happened.

I've contacted Asus about RMA'ing the board for the previous issues above and got it approved. Does anyone have any experience dealing with their RMA department? How anal are they? The last time I RMA'd anything to Asus was over 4 years ago and it was before they had a repair center in Markham Ontario.

Any suggestions, tips, stories would be great.
Really? The ASUS rep told me they didn't cover physical damage (including bent pins), so I always thought their RMA was horrible.
Old November 27, 2014, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Toothpick, steady hand and some close attention to get it straight..

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old November 27, 2014, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Toothpick, steady hand and some close attention to get it straight..
Did this lots back in the day on CPUs. Much harder now but certainly not impossible.

Used to use a ballpoint pen with the actual ink/head part removed. Maybe a mechanical pencil with no lead would do the trick as they are very thin at the tip usually.
Old November 28, 2014, 06:44 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Socket 1155 bent pins... Check this video for help on how-to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOY...sXVpzL92VesANw

Also, I always buy an inexpensive backup mobo on hand ~$50.
Old November 28, 2014, 02:49 PM
Top Prospect

if only john was around he'd be the guy to talk to as he's always had a good rep with asus!
Old November 28, 2014, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinraCorp View Post
Really? The ASUS rep told me they didn't cover physical damage (including bent pins), so I always thought their RMA was horrible.
Yea, the CSR put me on hold multiple times to confirm the information he was telling me (repair costs vary per socket repair). Extensive damage would not be covered at all and would have the warranty void according to him.

The only real experience I've had with Asus was with highend video cards. I had to ship them to California, but other than the high shipping costs they've been really easy to deal with but they've been pretty up tight with the motherboard. I even had the CSR hang up the phone on me when he got frustrated that what he was telling me wasn't fixing the problem with the LAN not showing up in the Device manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnat View Post
Socket 1155 bent pins... Check this video for help on how-to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhOY...sXVpzL92VesANw

Also, I always buy an inexpensive backup mobo on hand ~$50.
I watched that video, I just don't trust myself my hands are a bit shaky and my vision isn't the greatest.
Old December 27, 2014, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Asus RMA

I'm in the middle of dumping all of my Asus junk. RMA 2 mobos, bnib no 4th memory detected in either board. I only used Asus boards until I had an RMA.

Got replacements, refurbed to start, WTF, then the ones they sent me didn't work, were actually worse.

At that point they started to blame me and expected me to pay to have it fixed. Then they forgot about me,

closed my file. Yelled and screamed, got another board, no sound now...

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ASUS!!!

Just my humble opinion Switched to EVGA, still learning the bios setups. Can't figure out where to adjust the llc....

FF
Old December 28, 2014, 03:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Asus generally has the best launch day stability and is good about updating their BIOS, but their support is pretty terrible and they tend to look for reasons to deny RMA. That said, they've had their share of issues too ... like the Z87 RTC issues they had.

EVGA has great support, but their BIOS isn't too good. That's the real issue. Stability has improved a lot since the Haswell based motherboards came out though.

Among the others, Gigabyte has decent support, but it has to go to the US. Also, one weak point is that on many of the Gigabyte boards, they aren't too good about updating their BIOS. The SOC Force ones though generally are pretty good.

MSI is the brand I've been going with since it goes to Markham (cheaper shipping) and their tech support is generally pretty good, although turnaround can be slow at times. They are generally pretty good about updating their BIOS though.

I don't have much experience with Asrock RMA, but I hear its a mixed bag. They seem to be good about embracing new features like M.2 aggressively, but aren't always the best in updating their BIOS.

I think EVGA stuff also has to go the US. So basically it's down to EVGA and MSI.