Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2014, 08:06 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default MSI X99S Gaming 7 Motherboard Review Comment Thread

MSI's X99S Gaming 7 is something of a rarity; MSI has included a full stable of gamer-centric features and yet it is quite affordable when compared to other X99 motherboards.

Read more here: MSI X99S Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
Old November 19, 2014, 06:14 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Looks like a promsing board hampered by a bad BIOS

Unfortunately, the BIOS seems to be holding this one back. MSI is pretty good about updating their BIOS, so we'll have to wait and see.

I think it's the serious drawback of being an early adopter. It's one of those things that just sucks I guess. Now would be a good time I think to get a Z97 board. For an X99 board, I'd wait until at least Q2 of 2015 until everything stabilizes. You'll probably also get a better deal on DDR4 by then.

Otherwise, once they get it fixed, it should be one of the best boards at its price point.
Old November 19, 2014, 07:46 PM
Associate Review Editor

Thankfully the CPU overclocking is fine, which is where you will get the bulk of your performance gains.

So if you're okay with not achieving the full potential of the Uncore and your DDR4 memory kit, this is still a good board.
Old November 21, 2014, 07:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I suppose so.

RAM doesn't really affect much in terms of benchmarks, save for a few specialized applications.

The Uncore too does not make things that much faster either.

Hmm ... I guess for anything to go wrong, RAM and Uncore are the least harmful.
Old November 30, 2014, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I never noticed until today that it seems integrated Wireless doesn't seem to be part of the X99 platform. Kind of a shame that you'll have to go with a PCI or USB adapter. Might wait until Skylake after all.

Nice board though. I recently gave an MSI Z97 itx board a go and was very happy with it.
Old November 30, 2014, 06:04 PM
Allstar

Personally, I don't expect (nor want) wireless built into a workstation/enthusiast chipset. It adds costs (licenses, engineering) and complexity for what is, IMO, a very fringe need for that kind of product.

Last edited by Desiato; November 30, 2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old November 30, 2014, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
Personally, I don't expect (nor want) wireless built into a workstation/enthusiast chipset. It adds costs (licenses, engineering) and complexity for what is, IMO, a very fringe need for that kind of product.
On an enthusiast crowd level, I think it's reasonable to have it (and with high-end boards you'd probably get a good set up). I can definitely seeing it being kind of a waste for the business side of thing though.
Old December 1, 2014, 12:08 AM
Allstar

I assume most enthusiasts, especially gaming enthusiasts, are still using wired networks with desktop PCs. Maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, it's trivial for motherboard manufacturers to add wifi support without it being a chipset feature. There's no benefit to the consumer to integrate it into the chipset of a desktop board. Even if I wanted wifi on a desktop system, I would prefer an upgradable solution.