Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2014, 10:18 AM
Rookie

Default Motherboard for Windows XP

Can someone take a look at this motherboard and tell me if it supports XP? The drivers seem to be available, but some opinions would be appreciated. Any suggestions as to the best processor to go with it (and still run XP) would be great. I don't think XP will run on any Haswell CPU, but I could be wrong about that. I plan on using it for multiple purposes, and also for playing whatever high end games out there for XP (which means I'll need a GPU that has XP drivers too).

h**p://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/P8H61I_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
Old November 18, 2014, 04:58 PM
Rookie

It should work, the most important driver is the one for the chipset. If that supports XP, you are probably fine.

Personally, I would use a VM, before installing XP, because of the Security issues.
Old November 18, 2014, 06:49 PM
Rookie

Thanks.
I've heard that XP doesn't support USB 3.0, but I see there are USB 3.0 drivers for XP listed on the ASUS site.
Old November 18, 2014, 08:03 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, why exactly are you installing XP still? A lot of applications have even dropped support for it.

It's not at all optimized for current-day hardware. Windows 7 or 8 would be FAR better choices.

If it's a couple apps you need to run, just install something like VirtualBox and load up XP in there.