Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2014, 09:43 AM
Rookie

Post Why Not an AMD ??..Is Going Economical a compromise ?

Hello Folks ! I am new to PC building and Hardware. I am not looking just for easy answers but very much willing to do further research once i get some directions..So Please help me out here..

I want to build my first PC for Video Editing so i started my research about the CPU first. Got to know that Intel dual Xeons and hexa core extreme editions are the top notch choices among the industry professionals below that stand i7 hexa cores K series and then comes i7 quad core cpus. Mostly people recommend at least an Intel i7 quad core cpu for a Video Editing Workstation.

Its not like i am trying to defy their wisdom but genuinely curious about 'Why Not an AMD ?' Fx-8350 has 8 cores, 4.00 GHz (Oced up to 4.20 GHz), 4*2 MB L2 and 8 MB L3 cache. i guess higher TDPs and no iGPU can not be significant enough reasons.. I have seen the benchmark comparisons across the internet but can anyone explain what makes Intel's Quick Sync, Hyper Threading and other technologies beat the AMD CPUs in popularity?

I have been doing some Video Editing on Windows Movie Maker on my hp laptop (i3-3110M 2.40 GHz). That's my only practical experience with the Video Editing and i Love doing it and decided for an upgrade but don't have enough budget for even i7 Quad core.

I am purchasing recently launched Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1000 which records Videos up to @ 100 Mbps and has 1" Image Sensor. I would like to dabble my hands in creative things like Chroma Key, 2D/3D Animation, live action & Animation compositing with various VFXs. So i will be working with a few layers of Videos and VFXs within a single frame. My source footage will be 1080p mp4 or avchd @ 28 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Review: Digital Photography Review

So looking forward to build Budget Video Editing Workstation capable of executing those tasks smoothly. Longer rendering durations are not the issue as long the final Render output is Flawless.

In the beginning i will be using Adobe Premier, After Effects, Blender, GIMP, Handbrake and DaVinci Resolve Lite. Using Premier and After effects because i am yet to discover their worthy Open Source substitutes and if there are any please do suggest..

If i'll be running my System for 5 hrs daily, considering rest of the configurations same. TDP difference between AMD(125 W) and Intel(84 W) is 40 Watts, does it mean that per month an AMD System will consume (40W* 5 hrs* 30 days)/1000=6 Units more than an Intel System...Am i right or i am missing out on something else here ?

All your suggestions will be a great help for me.

Cheers 'n' Thanks for Feedbacks

Last edited by TortVoice; July 26, 2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old July 27, 2014, 02:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not as much of an economic advantage as it was a decade ago. With the i3-i5-i7 tiers there is usually an intel CPU with similar performance as an AMD CPU at a similar price point. PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End

For a time there was some interesting value in AMD's APUs, but with the current generations, Intel has closed the gap on that as well.

Also, much more processor and motherboard selection for Intel.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think of it like this if seconds count then sure go intel I have both an older 15 2500k oced to 4.3 ghz I use for gaming it has 8 gb ram and a 560ti nvid card , my other pc is an AMD with a 1100t be AMD 6 core running stock with a 7700 video card I don't notice any real difference between the two when it comes tio most games accept for crysis. when I am multi tasking allot my gaming system does get some hiccups.
so for me anyway there is no real difference on paper sure there is but when it comes to gaming not really that different .
maybe doing some tasks you might save a few seconds but in the end why spend more money then you have to.

It kind of reminds me of driving in the city I stay at a constant speed around the speed limit and a fair amount of the time I have people pass me doing twice the speed but at the next set of lights I catch up to them and if I time it right I hit the green light while they are sitting there waiting.
Old July 27, 2014, 10:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I think of it like this if seconds count then sure go intel I have both an older 15 2500k oced to 4.3 ghz I use for gaming it has 8 gb ram and a 560ti nvid card , my other pc is an AMD with a 1100t be AMD 6 core running stock with a 7700 video card I don't notice any real difference between the two when it comes tio most games accept for crysis. when I am multi tasking allot my gaming system does get some hiccups.
so for me anyway there is no real difference on paper sure there is but when it comes to gaming not really that different .
maybe doing some tasks you might save a few seconds but in the end why spend more money then you have to.

It kind of reminds me of driving in the city I stay at a constant speed around the speed limit and a fair amount of the time I have people pass me doing twice the speed but at the next set of lights I catch up to them and if I time it right I hit the green light while they are sitting there waiting.
That depends on the task at hand though.

Yes, for gaming a second here or there isn't going to matter all that much, but if somebody is crunching numbers or rendering then the gains can be substantial.

That said... a person would have to do their research on the specific software/task they intend to focus on and base their decision on that. Some processors are going to be better at certain tasks, and it'll often come down to a compromise on certain tasks while getting the best bang-for-buck on others.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 27, 2014, 01:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There are some specific programs that can take advantage of AMD's cores more than intel's, but you need to research which ones. If you rely on one of those programs AMD could be the way to go, but remember than something like an 8350 runs through nearly 100w more power than an i7 at full load...over time that will kill off some of the initial price difference (plus the extra heat you have to deal with). Its not directly matched to the TDP difference.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old July 27, 2014, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Power is calculated in kW/h, or 1000W/h is another way of writing it. If your entire PC burned 50w more (at the wall, all that matters, not chip numbers) then it would take 20 hours of use to create 1kW/h of cost. You can extrapolate values from there based on full system use...

For the average home user, intel/amd performance numbers mean very little. In your case, if you're spending literal HOURS of pre and post processing editing large scale pictures and videos an Intel CPU will likely save you time. How much? Totally depends on how much editing you're doing, and for how many hours a week.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Sagath; July 27, 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old July 27, 2014, 08:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

For video encoding, after you factor in the overclocks you can get from an Intel Haswell, it's still competitive to an FX-8350 even factoring in the price. The Intel CPU will save you a lot of time too. Depending on how much you value time, it's worth looking at the E series of CPUs.

The G3258 means that you get high single threaded performance at a low cost. If you are in need of single threaded performance, it's a good buy.

Unfortunately, there is little reason right now to go AMD.
Old July 28, 2014, 03:42 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I use to use a Phenom x6 1100T and now I am using a intel cpu.
I notice snappier performance using Intel because of the high single thread performance in daily tasks over the Phenom.
Old July 28, 2014, 03:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What is your budget? Fortunately the FX8350 is going pretty good in video editing, and you don't seem to value your time that much, so it would be a good compromise between efficiency and raw power. Going economical is always a compromise, I know that from hands on experience with AMD CPUs for 15 years now. Just make sure you get a good cooling solution on it, like Cooler Master 212.

Last edited by MARSTG; July 30, 2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old July 31, 2014, 11:46 AM
Rookie

After some research on net inclining towards Fx-8320 and the Budget is $1200 including monitor and other peripherals..

Tags
amd , cpu , intel , video editing , workstation