Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2014, 05:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

TortVoice will this system that you plan on building be running in an environment that will be Air Conditioned? I ask because I see you are from India and AFAIK it can be rather hot there almost year round. IMO I would be somewhat concerned by the heat that your selected AMD CPU will produce. You may want to consider a good to excellent aftermarket cooler like a Nocuta NH-D14/NH-D15 or equivalent.

If you are paying for air conditioning please factor that the cost to remove the heat produced by your computer will be effectively greater than the cost of the electricity used by your computer to begin with.
Old August 5, 2014, 02:45 AM
Rookie

In our region there are 2 months of peak summers(May & June). Temperature remains between 32 to 40 degrees Celsius in those 2 months. Planning to keep the system at home in a small room(L4m,b3m,h3.5m ground floor) that has proper ventilation. We use 200W air cooler in that room during summers and can't afford the running cost of an Air Conditioner for now. Was considering Hyper 212 evo before but let's see if i can squeeze a Noctua within my budget...

Last edited by TortVoice; August 5, 2014 at 03:51 AM. Reason: grammar
Old August 5, 2014, 03:33 AM
Rookie

We also need to deal with random/long power cuts problem in our city. A ups alone can't provide enough back up in running render situations so i was considering 2 options (Line interactive ups+Power Inverter OR A Line interactive ups+Power Generator) to counter the power cuts. But not sure about how the system will deal with those power source transitions(from main power source to ups, ups to inverter/generator and from inverter/generator back to main power source) ...will these transitions from one power source to another happen without any abrupt shutdown...

Read that the Pure Sine Wave is the smoothest output but Line interactive ups(APC) come only with Modified Sine Wave output. How much does it matter for a Video Editing System...
Old August 5, 2014, 04:27 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It really doesn't matter all that much. However (and this is important), you may not be buying the right system if you want it to run off of a UPS for any length of time. The best thing you can do is buy a bit less power hungry system which will run for a longer amount of time from a UPS and will be compatible with more affordable continual external power supplies.
Old August 5, 2014, 05:49 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortVoice View Post
We also need to deal with random/long power cuts problem in our city. A ups alone can't provide enough back up in running render situations so i was considering 2 options (Line interactive ups+Power Inverter OR A Line interactive ups+Power Generator) to counter the power cuts. But not sure about how the system will deal with those power source transitions(from main power source to ups, ups to inverter/generator and from inverter/generator back to main power source) ...will these transitions from one power source to another happen without any abrupt shutdown...

Read that the Pure Sine Wave is the smoothest output but Line interactive ups(APC) come only with Modified Sine Wave output. How much does it matter for a Video Editing System...
I have looked at your exact situation. What I ended up going with was a smaller UPS with about 5min run time and the generator kicks in on its own. Give yourself a realistic run time for your situation and get a small generator that fits your needs. If you are going with a petrol generator make sure you look at peak vs continuous wattage.
Old August 5, 2014, 06:33 AM
Rookie

just looking for a confirmation that there is 'no shut down' at the point when generator kicks in and replaces the UPS as the power source ie system remains on all along. And the system still remains on the moment main power supply is back and takes over from the generator...
Old August 5, 2014, 06:41 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortVoice View Post
just looking for a confirmation that there is 'no shut down' at the point when generator kicks in and replaces the UPS as the power source ie system remains on all along. And the system still remains on the moment main power supply is back and takes over from the generator...
As long as your UPS has the run time no it will just carry on running. To the UPS its no different then a small power blip. It doesn't care where the power comes from. My suggestion is to let the generator run for a minute or so before switching over to it. Give it time to warm up and burn some of the barnacles off.
Old August 5, 2014, 07:14 AM
Rookie

what should i say..umm i see the solution but request you to bear with my ignorance and i admit i never paid attention before on working of a generator. As you mentioned when power cut happens...
1. UPS takes over and supplies power to the system (at the same moment the generator kicks in on its own)
2. We wait for generator to warm up and burn the barnacles off.
3. Switch over (manually) and let the generator take over from the UPS.
4. When main power supply is back generator turns off automatically and its main power supply as usual

am i following the course of events properly here..
Old August 5, 2014, 07:24 AM
Allstar

Sort of, if you manually switch the Generator over you will have to manually switch i back. Depending on the size of the generator and if the one you get supports this you can get a auto transfer switch.

Here is my 2 second lazy search to give you an idea of transfer switches. I personally have a Eaton 200A auto transfer switch, and I am happy with it.... I think they make auto transfers down to 30A if that's what you are looking at.

http://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keyw...l_8pe9ico7qw_b

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WiA-DeReIM Seems to be some students that made this, explains it in detail with visuals!!!
Old August 5, 2014, 07:31 AM
Rookie

I Appreciate every bit of effort by every person here to make us understand better

Last edited by TortVoice; August 5, 2014 at 07:50 AM.

Tags
amd , cpu , intel , video editing , workstation