Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 1, 2014, 12:07 AM
MVP

Buy a mac mini for $600 and call it a day. When it comes to content creation, video editing in your case, software on Windows is terrible and inefficient.

People overestimate hardware when it is, in fact, the software that is holding things back.
Old August 1, 2014, 01:34 AM
Rookie

Would definitely try mac in future but not for now i am really looking forward to built my first pc myself and pretty excited about it
Old August 1, 2014, 01:41 AM
Rookie

Well these tic-toc tactics of the manufacturers !

What is Power phase? It is said that it should be minimum 8+2 for overclocking..Please help me explain...
Old August 1, 2014, 04:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It is the circuitry that deliver the power from the PSU to the CPU and memory controller. To help improve the power delivery more phases are required, 8 in this case for the CPU and 2 for the memory controller and northbridge. With more power phases the CPU can be fed more current in a smooth manner, avoiding spikes, which aids in overclocking.
Old August 1, 2014, 06:25 AM
Rookie

Thanks for a nice and concise explanation about power phase, guess i got some handle on it now.
But strangely couldn't find information about power phase in specifications list of the various manufacturers except Gigabyte.

Last edited by TortVoice; August 1, 2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The number of power phases doesn't really mean much. For example, you can use phase multipliers to make that 8-phase setup into a so-called "16-phase" design without actually adding any load capacity.
Old August 1, 2014, 08:48 AM
Rookie

Please bear with my ignorance here...You mean it is possible within some settings in BIOS or Phase multiplier is a separate gadget all together...
Old August 1, 2014, 09:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No. Basically a phase multiplier is something that motherboard manufacturers install onto their products in order to increase the number of VRM phases without actually upping the PWM capacity.

For example, a "24 phase" motherboard would have 24 driver MOSFETs and 24 chokes. In order to properly feed that most boards don't use a 24 phase PWM. Rather, they use a 6-phase PWM which is then fed into two concentric sets of phase multipliers (6 to 12 and then 12 to 24) which gives them a so-called "24 phase" board. In the end though, there's only a 6-phase PWM backing it up so the usual bottlenecks will be in place.

All I am saying is that you shouldn't put too much stock in the number of phases a board has.
Old August 1, 2014, 11:53 AM
Rookie

Umm... ! those details are a bit difficult to comprehend and my face expressions might be resembling your Avatar's when i was reading them.

But Yeah i got the message there in the last line
Old August 4, 2014, 06:28 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
All I am saying is that you shouldn't put too much stock in the number of phases a board has.
QFT...

If nothing else TortVoice, I am sure you can understand that.

Tags
amd , cpu , intel , video editing , workstation