Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2014, 06:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvkfc View Post
Since when is $190 affordable? And this motherboard seems like nothing special really, 12 phase power is good for serious OC but then again the CPU will limit OC potential most of the time.
It's not just about the number of phases, it's also about the quality. There's also the PWM, the caps (good caps are expensive), and the chokes to consider. In fact, a fast way to kill a Mosfet is to pare it with a choke that cannot handle the current.

But these days, you can get a very high quality board at a mid-ranged board price. In fact, higher quality than some of the top boards on the market, like the G1 Gaming reviewed earlier. Unless you need a specific feature like a PLX chip for running 3-4 GPUs, you really don't need the top of the end boards.
Old July 7, 2014, 03:28 AM
MVP

One of the annoying things about these new gigabyte boards is the either-or "features" they implement. The M.2/Sata express/Sata ports thing. And why are they still putting PCI slots on there? Fricken die already PCI.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:47 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
One of the annoying things about these new gigabyte boards is the either-or "features" they implement. The M.2/Sata express/Sata ports thing. And why are they still putting PCI slots on there? Fricken die already PCI.
Well, I think it has to do with the amount of bandwidth available and other restraints in the PCIe 3.0 specs. But that is only my guess as I look at it all.
Old July 7, 2014, 09:52 AM
Allstar

Anyone know if Gigabyte has solved their coldboot issue that's been around since the dinosaurs?

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old July 7, 2014, 10:35 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Every generation they claim to have no issue, pointing towards their accomplishments with their in-house overclocking team. Then "normal" overclockers get their hands on the boards and voila....the issue is back.

I have no idea about this generation but I have yet to see any forum posts regarding it.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:02 AM

My System Specs

I have had zero cold boot issues on my z87x-udh5. Although the damn thing boots to setup after power loss instead of booting up normally.

Last edited by lowfat; July 7, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old July 7, 2014, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Every generation they claim to have no issue, pointing towards their accomplishments with their in-house overclocking team. Then "normal" overclockers get their hands on the boards and voila....the issue is back.

I have no idea about this generation but I have yet to see any forum posts regarding it.
I have not heard much about it. If it does happen, try using a PS2 keyboard and not a USB one. That worked when I had an old Asus board that cold booted.

This generation (both the Z87 and Z97) do suffer from 1 issue: The Haswell boards though all suffer from high DPC latency.

Some of the later BIOS/EFI versions did mitigate the problem.

Some of the newer Z97 boards do address the issue:

Z97 has only been out in consumer hands for like a month or two, right now. Give it some more time and we'll see issues that arise.
Old July 7, 2014, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I have had zero cold boot issues on my z87x-udh5. Although the damn thing boots to setup on after power loss instead of booting up normally.
Same thing with my moms UD3. Only she still has an OS on it the secondary drive for some reason and guess which drive it tries to boot after a power failure?

Going to have to format that drive one of these days. But no cold boot issues from it either.
Old July 7, 2014, 04:19 PM
Allstar

I'm not saying it happened on every board or only overclocked boards as I've seen it with the two older boards I had (non-overclocked). That's why I stopped buying them.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old July 7, 2014, 06:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Might have been the hardware config used. Would explain why some people reported it and others didn't?