Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2014, 07:03 AM
Rookie

Default Help with my cpu

Hi
i have in my laptop cpu pentium dual core t4500

i wanted to change it and i found in wikipedia my socket (Socket P) support many high cpus

and this is the site

Socket P - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look at the right side and you will see the details.

is this true i can upgrade to core 2 duo and core 2 quad ???
Old June 26, 2014, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just because its the same socket doesn't mean the laptop is compatible. You will have to check that the motherboard (bios) is compatible, and if it is, then you need to check if your power brick is sufficient to handle it, and if the heatsink currently in the laptop can cool the higher performing chip. Laptops aren't nice and easy like a desktop.
Old June 27, 2014, 04:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Just because its the same socket doesn't mean the laptop is compatible. You will have to check that the motherboard (bios) is compatible, and if it is, then you need to check if your power brick is sufficient to handle it, and if the heatsink currently in the laptop can cool the higher performing chip. Laptops aren't nice and easy like a desktop.
how to check all this ?
Old June 27, 2014, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

Research and I don't suggest doing it. I did it once and the cooling system wasn't up to par and I had to swap back.
Old June 29, 2014, 12:15 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Your CPU is based on the Penryn (~Wolfdale: Intel Core 2 series) at 35 watts. I recommend looking for a CPU with the same wattage.

It is best to look at the laptop model series. Check the 'base model' and look at what other configurations (higher cpus) the laptop could have had included for purchase. Buy the highest model 'cpu'.

Also update the BIOS of your laptop before buying and installing a higher CPU.
Google your model number or base model to see what cpu configurations it sold with.
Old June 30, 2014, 10:52 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmehereajax View Post
Your CPU is based on the Penryn (~Wolfdale: Intel Core 2 series) at 35 watts. I recommend looking for a CPU with the same wattage.

It is best to look at the laptop model series. Check the 'base model' and look at what other configurations (higher cpus) the laptop could have had included for purchase. Buy the highest model 'cpu'.

Also update the BIOS of your laptop before buying and installing a higher CPU.
Google your model number or base model to see what cpu configurations it sold with.
i searched in wiki and i saw this

img host

the 2 red squares which i saw that cpus fits my laptop and want to see your opinion
Old July 2, 2014, 11:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

What is model number on the laptop sticker label?
Old July 4, 2014, 10:17 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBedo View Post
Hi
i have in my laptop cpu pentium dual core t4500

i wanted to change it and i found in wikipedia my socket (Socket P) support many high cpus

and this is the site

Socket P - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look at the right side and you will see the details.

is this true i can upgrade to core 2 duo and core 2 quad ???
Actually you want to look for the T series like you have now. I'm not really sure you can slap an e series in there even if the socket is the same.

Here:

Amazon.com: Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.80 GHz 6M L2 Cache 1066MHz FSB Socket P Mobile Processor: Electronics

or

Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8 GHz Dual-Core AW80576GH0726M Processor | eBay

I believe the T9600 is the top of the like CPU at the time. There is no turbo, it's not really going to be great put in an old laptop, but for $60 vs buying a newer laptop, probably worth the try.
Old July 6, 2014, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I really wouldn't bother, unless you get the new CPU dirt cheap (for me I wouldn't go more than $20 in an attempt to get a better CPU in there) and have the spare time to change the CPU and maybe switch back again if you have an issue. Otherwise pocket the couple dollars towards a new laptop.