Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2014, 06:26 AM
Top Prospect

Default Defective PCIe slot killing my videocards?

Hello guys,

I recently bought 2x GTX 780lightnings to replace my 7970s. Two weeks ago my 1st lightning died (PCIeslot 1) on me so I needed to RMA it. While waiting, I used my second card on the same PCIeslot. A week later, the 2nd lightning also died with the same symptom. The symptoms of both card were back LED lights turns on briefly then off immediately after rebooting the system, the fans were stuck at 100%, and no video signal. Is it possible that my motherboard's PCIe is killing my graphics? I am currently using a gtx 770 on that same slot and everything seems working fine.

My specs:
CPU: 4930k
MOBO: Asus Rampage IV extreme
RAM: Corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz 16gb
PSU: EVGA P2 1000W
Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 Lightning
HDD: Intel 240gb SSD

Thanks!
Old June 11, 2014, 06:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORE View Post
Hello guys,

I recently bought 2x GTX 780lightnings to replace my 7970s. Two weeks ago my 1st lightning died (PCIeslot 1) on me so I needed to RMA it. While waiting, I used my second card on the same PCIeslot. A week later, the 2nd lightning also died with the same symptom. The symptoms of both card were back LED lights turns on briefly then off immediately after rebooting the system, the fans were stuck at 100%, and no video signal. Is it possible that my motherboard's PCIe is killing my graphics? I am currently using a gtx 770 on that same slot and everything seems working fine.

My specs:
CPU: 4930k
MOBO: Asus Rampage IV extreme
RAM: Corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz 16gb
PSU: EVGA P2 1000W
Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 Lightning
HDD: Intel 240gb SSD

Thanks!
I would double check psu maybe even a UPS first as I have had bad power kill more gear than anything else.

I know pooh flinging will commence shortly but... the Rampage IV Extreme is a huge problem board, tons of issues in QA. just search the board on google and see the hate everywhere, it is 50 50 if you get a good board it will work forever, get a ok board and expect hell on earth. there is zero consistency with this board.

I remember setting some up at HQ when they came out and tons had bent pins out of box or bent dimm slots yah you heard that right bent dimms :S

also look into the slit see if anything looks bent or just missing
Old June 11, 2014, 06:58 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the reply soullessone21. I will check the PCIe slots and report what I see! Its just weird since I was using this board 24/7 for the past year.
Old June 11, 2014, 07:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Another possibility to look into would be the lot/revision of the vid card.... could be there's an issue with those as well. Maybe the GPU failures occurred after XXX amount of time/usage and the fact that both cards failed while installed in the same slot was just coincidence.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 11, 2014, 07:39 AM
Top Prospect

Hey sswilson,

I was strongly considering that point because the videocards were probably from the same batch. Their serial goes something like this XXX-XXX-XXXXXXX1000 (1st card) then XXX-XXX-XXXXXXX1003(2nd). I did receive a replacement for the first card, but it was defective since artifacts were everywhere in unigine. Moreover, the replacement card would freeze lock the system, back LED lights will turn off, and fans will be 100% after 10mins of furmark. Oddly enough, this is the problem of both cards. But, unlike the first two cards, the replacement would boot properly after system restart. I also sent this card back.

Thanks!
Old June 11, 2014, 07:54 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Did you try the replacement card in your second slot as a stand-alone card? If it exhibits the behavior in your primary slot, but seems to work fine in the secondary (using the same PSU connectors) then it's pretty much guaranteed to be something to do with that slot.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 11, 2014, 08:15 AM
Top Prospect

Hey sswilson,

That suggestion I was not able to do. What I was able to do were:
Use the 2nd original card on the first slot for 1 week without any problems. Then, removed that 2nd card and use the replacement card, but as soon as I stressed test it artifacts were seen on unigine. During the first few hours of stressing, the display went out, back LED lights on lightning went out, and fans were 100%. I was able to pinpoint that the problem was due to VRM overheating since it was hitting 98C. I asked permission from MSI to open up the heatsink, which they said yes. So I did, and saw that the one of the thermal pads were too thick. This prevented the thermal pads around the gpu core not to touch the heatsink, which caused VRM overheating and system shutdown. I used the thermal pads that came with the LN2 heatsink. After doing this, I was able to stress test my system for 3hrs without any restart and VRM temps were 77C max. However, after 3hrs of stressing, the same symptom began to show again. Up to the point that it will restart every 10mins of furmark with 100% fan. I logged the temps: VRM and GPU never hit 80C.

Then after giving up on this replacement card. I used my 2nd videocard and stressed it for 2hours just to determine if it was stable. It went without a hitch. Then after 3-4days of using this card, I played AC4 Blackflag. This was the unfortunate time were the fate of the 2nd videocard proved to be the same as the first card on the same PCIe slot, but different PSU connection.

**Further note is that both cards died while I was playing AC4 blackflag. I do not think any software can kill a hardware?

Thanks!
Old June 11, 2014, 12:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The game, no. NVIDIA has in the past released drivers that killed cards due though due to improper settings. I doubt this is the case here. You'd need a 3rd, verified to be stable and working card and to test it in that 2nd PCI-E slot for a few days (both stressing and general gameplay) to really be able to tell if it's that first pci-e slot killing stuff. At any rate I would definitely not put any replacement (or new card) into that first slot until I get things sorted.

Old June 12, 2014, 02:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Try the cards in a different rig? If you suspect 1 or more things in your rig it's the easiest way to tell if the cards have any issues before you try troubleshoot anything else.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old June 12, 2014, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

@vittra: thanks for that suggestion. I would be using a cheap gtx 620 just to make sure. I stressed test the gtx 620 with furmark and unigine for 2hrs each. Now I left it running blackflag for 24hrs now.
@dzzope: thanks for that suggestion, aswell. I will use a different rig to test the replacements.

I contacted EVGA since I got a new powersupply from them the 1000W P2. I explained to them what has happened with my two videocards. They told me to check the pcie connector and it must be 12V+/- 5%. I used my brothers gtx 770 since it requires PCIe connectors. I used those cheap mastercraft multimeters to check the voltages. What I found was that the idle voltage was 12.25V, while, the load voltage(furmark) was 12.27V. Should I rule out the powersupply as the culprit? Is there anyway to test the powersupply further?

Thanks!

To MODS: please move my thread to troubleshooting since its far less becoming a motherboard issue. TY