Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 7, 2014, 12:46 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Finally! A 5Ghz Intel CPU! Pity they didn't up the GPU spec though. Either that or do away with it altogether. They should have given it the Iris pro or better yet not have it in there reducing the cost.
Technically speaking, for the 2500k and 2600k people that had good luck with the silicon lottery, 5 GHz was very doable, sometimes even on air. The top 2600ks could clock 5 GHz at under 1.425V (good for a 32nm process) and still be stable on Intel Burn Test.

On that note, I think this does bode well for Haswell-E.

Does anyone know how good the TIM used is, relative to the fluxless solder used on older chips?
Old June 7, 2014, 02:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

they have better paste now, lol
Old June 7, 2014, 06:36 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Considering the 'solder' they used was pure indium and had a thermal conductivity rating of about 86 W/(m * K)...and most TIMs on the market are about 1/10 of that...no. Its not going to be as good as the solder. However, the TIM itself is/was only half the problem the other half was the gap between the IHS and the core (from the glue and overall IHS design). More gap = more goop needed= higher temps. My guess this whiz bang new 'next gen' TIM is another Dow Corning paste but they have quietly shortened the gap between the two....and are just puting all the credit on to the TIM as that is what peeps have been complaining about. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 8, 2014, 07:18 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
However, the TIM itself is/was only half the problem the other half was the gap between the IHS and the core (from the glue and overall IHS design). More gap = more goop needed= higher temps. My guess this whiz bang new 'next gen' TIM is another Dow Corning paste but they have quietly shortened the gap between the two.
This I have not heard of and honestly I am not sure about this "gap" you speak of. Where did you hear about it? On this forum I created a thread concerning the delidding, re TIM'ing and re gluing of the IHS to the cpu. I completed this process on two 3770k and one 3570k. To my knowledge there is no gap issue because after replacing the TIM my temp drops were dramatic.
Old June 8, 2014, 09:23 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

@Phill

See here:
AnandTech Forums - View Single Post - Delidded my i7-3770K, loaded temperatures drop by 20°C at 4.7GHz

Did a bit more reading. AKG is right. It is the gap not the TIM. In fact the TIM may be among the best on the market right now.

Of course, this demands the question, what was the gap on Sandy? And what is the gap on these new Devils Canyon chips?

Performance-wise I'm skeptical that it will be more than 10% over Haswell, and maybe less. Remember, the Ivy Bridge-E chips had the solder and struggled to clear 4.5 GHz in most cases, at least without excessive voltage. Also recall that the delidded Ivy Bridge (non-E) versions did not overclock that much better. Most did not clear 5 GHz. I would guess judging by their operating temperatures they did not have a big gap:

Intel i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E Review

They ran cooler than the 32 nm Sandy Bridge E CPUs. Voltage-wise, 1.4V on a 22 nm process is pretty high. There have been reports of Sandy Bridge CPUs degrading at 1.425V by comparison, so I'd be worried about using that 24-7.

Check this out too:
Intel 4790K OC Report ~

Last edited by lowfat; June 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old June 8, 2014, 01:58 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Did a bit more reading. AKG is right. It is the gap not the TIM. In fact the TIM may be among the best on the market right now.
I stand corrected or at least now I have been informed. Thank you
Old June 8, 2014, 02:58 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Just expand upon my off the cuff comment....the 'gap' comes from the fact that Intel needs to slam out finished CPUs as fast as possible. This 'gap' keeps any mechanical errors during the process from damaging the CPU. Best guess is they have figured out how to reduce the gap, still keep damages to a min and improve temps. (once again) best guess is they didnt realize how hot their 3D tech was going to be and were being overly conservative on the gap.

So what they did is move around the hot spots on the core (thus the 'new' gen CPU), reduce the gap...I bet by about .01 or so...and use a slightly improved TIM...packaged it all up and called it a new and improved chip (should have at least changed the stepping though!). I bet 5Ghz is still going to be luck of the draw and anything over 4.7 is going to be pure luck.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 10, 2014, 04:39 PM
MVP

My System Specs

guys at pcper came to the same conclusion 4.7 was his top oc on his es chip. Others have mentioned at the show a 5.5 on air though maybe a cherry picked cpu they were saying. May have to wait and see what guys are getting before selling my 4770 for same o/c... Need to see at least 5.0 to make it sorta worth while... the average 4770k now gets 1000-1100 Mhz on an oc, so am hoping the DC will do the same or better... See 48-5.1 in the oc.net owners club and allot of hoping for 5.0 ;)

Fugger is saying dust off the vaporchill cases...

Last edited by nasrott; June 10, 2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old June 10, 2014, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hope the 4790K is a gem, I need something to entertain me while we wait for Haswell-E....
Old June 11, 2014, 04:36 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

My sample FINALLY made it out of customs....after 4 days of delays. Argh!!!