Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2014, 03:21 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Kaveri Mobile APUs; AMD's FX Reincarnated; Comment Thread

AMD's Kaveri architecture has finally made its way into the notebook / mobile market. With it, we will see a reincarnation of the legendary FX-series but this time in APU form.

Read more here: Kaveri Mobile APUs; AMD's FX Reincarnated
Old June 4, 2014, 02:22 PM
Top Prospect

What's with AMD doing this staggered/controlled review/preview with all their stuff recently. Its down right deceptive. E.g Tomshardware testing only gaming tasks.

Anandtech tests a 35watts AMD processor vs a 15watt intel one. Both leaving out battery benchmarks. I am happy you guys atleast left out the benchmarks for the most part entirely than bend to AMD's will of trying to paint something that would flatter them.
Old June 4, 2014, 04:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Because some publications were allowed to benchmark these APUs under VERY controlled conditions at a recent event. Hence why there's very little info. We chose not to include skewed performance results in official chart form.
Old June 5, 2014, 06:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdogexpress View Post
What's with AMD doing this staggered/controlled review/preview with all their stuff recently. Its down right deceptive. E.g Tomshardware testing only gaming tasks.

Anandtech tests a 35watts AMD processor vs a 15watt intel one. Both leaving out battery benchmarks. I am happy you guys atleast left out the benchmarks for the most part entirely than bend to AMD's will of trying to paint something that would flatter them.
For the record, the most recent Intel release did not include benchmarks either...so it seems that both companies are guilty of a staggered release...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;

Last edited by great_big_abyss; June 5, 2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old June 5, 2014, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
For the record, the most recent Intel release did not include benchmarks either...so it seems that both companies are guilty of a staggered release...
You are very correct there Mr. GBA but dont spread the word the poo flinging has just started aga JK

All brands are subject to marketing hype but AMD honestly has brought their marketing hate on themselves sadly :(
Old June 5, 2014, 03:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Not releasing benchmarks and giving other details is better than only allowing reviews to show situations which make their platform look favorable. That's downright dishonest.

AMD did this not that long ago with their last APU release as well. I think SKYMTL will remember that too.
Old June 14, 2014, 10:36 AM
Trial Member

Default needs to be compaired to desktop chips.

One thing was missing. You did not do a comparison to the fastest Intel desktop cpus they are supposed to be competing against. Don't just show the low power chips. AMD is stating their fx apus are going to be replacing all chips in the future in the desktop so they are now also desktop chips and need to be compared to the desktop chips available. Too many more reviews like this I will never touch anything AMD again.

Last edited by duddits; June 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old June 14, 2014, 11:54 AM
Allstar

How can he do a comparison when the benchmarks are given to him? We have to wait until the reviewer get his hands on an actual unit to benchmark.
Old June 19, 2014, 01:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you know of any laptops to come out soon with Kaveri APUs? All I see on the market is Richland.

Prototype laptop with FX-7600P tested here. Review: AMD FX-7600P (28nm Kaveri) - CPU - HEXUS.net - Page 8
Pretty good 720p gaming experience.

Last edited by MARSTG; July 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM.