Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2014, 09:41 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Can you list all USB devices plugged into the board and which ports they are in please?

Need to pass to HQ for replication.
Hey,

I think I got rid of the problem by capping the cpu vcore first to 1.25 and then i upped it to 1.275 @ 44 multiplier to get stable and haven't got it since (only a few hours of stress testing + a day of gaming, but the problem showed up usually within 20 seconds under load). I have a hunch the mobo just didn't like vcore going into 1.3+ under stress testing. Need to try and reproduce it myself when I have time.

I think I had the problem occur with nothing but a single keyboard/mouse plugged in any port. But mostly had a Ducky Shine 3 and a Mionix Naos 7000 in the rear ports (of course tried all of them to no avail).
Old May 17, 2014, 11:06 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by negis View Post
Hey,

I think I got rid of the problem by capping the cpu vcore first to 1.25 and then i upped it to 1.275 @ 44 multiplier to get stable and haven't got it since (only a few hours of stress testing + a day of gaming, but the problem showed up usually within 20 seconds under load). I have a hunch the mobo just didn't like vcore going into 1.3+ under stress testing. Need to try and reproduce it myself when I have time.

I think I had the problem occur with nothing but a single keyboard/mouse plugged in any port. But mostly had a Ducky Shine 3 and a Mionix Naos 7000 in the rear ports (of course tried all of them to no avail).
Do you have any of the ASUS software installed? Also, what OS are you using?

Last edited by MAC; May 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Do you have any of the ASUS software installed? Also, what OS are you using?
Only installed the LAN driver from ASUS site since it wasn't working at all and flashed the BIOS to 0702. Running Win 8.1 x64.

Just noticed there's a 0902 BIOS available. Might give it a go in a few hours and also see if I can reproduce the USB power surge problem.
Old May 17, 2014, 11:23 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Only installed the LAN driver from ASUS site since it wasn't working at all and flashed the BIOS to 0702. Running Win 8.1 x64.

Just noticed there's a 0902 BIOS available. Might give it a go in a few hours and also see if I can reproduce the USB power surge problem.
Hmm, so you didn't install the Intel USB 3.0 driver? I ask because I've just now isolated that as the cause of the error on my end.

I was using Win 7, so I had to install the driver, but it may already come pre-installed with Win 8.1.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Hmm, so you didn't install the Intel USB 3.0 driver? I ask because I've just now isolated that as the cause of the error on my end.

I was using Win 7, so I had to install the driver, but it may already come pre-installed with Win 8.1.
It turns out I did ;) Had the chipset installer package in my downloads after all - installed it just now to confirm -> instant power surges in prime95/IBT (with my stable 1.275V settings) - uninstalled it and no surges to be seen :)

Thanks for figuring it out!
Old May 17, 2014, 12:59 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
It turns out I did ;) Had the chipset installer package in my downloads after all - installed it just now to confirm -> instant power surges in prime95/IBT (with my stable 1.275V settings) - uninstalled it and no surges to be seen :)

My pleasure!
Old May 21, 2014, 01:44 AM
Manufacturer Rep

The Intel USB 3.0 driver reserves memory space (for performance like IRST I think). Could well be there is some instability related to the overclock itself that does not result in the stress test failing but does result in the driver falling over. Fix would be to try and dial it out with the system voltages if possible. Does it happen at lower OCs where the CPU is in its "comfort zone" as well?

-Raja
Old August 5, 2014, 09:54 PM
Trial Member

Quote:

May I ask what method you used to uninstall it? I know this is an old thread but I just upgraded to a Z97-A/4790k and I can't OC at all because of this damn "power surge on USB" error. I've tried uninstalling through device manager but it just reinstalls it on reboot. There's no specific program for that driver package like there used to be, did you just uninstall all the chipset drivers?