Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 13, 2014, 04:46 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Don't expect any large evolutions. There will be a lot of incremental steps but nothing that will cause a leap forward.

We're literally in a 2-year cycle now where you can buy hardware now and wait two years until there will be enough of a performance uplift to justify upgrading again.

Regarding the Haswell Refresh, it is mostly targeted towards system integrators rather than the boxed processor market.
Old May 13, 2014, 06:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Personally speaking, the only cool thing is that Intel listened and figured out (hopefully) how to better put TIM between the die and IHS. Beyond that...I don't see a valid reason to go to Z97 at this point..

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2014, 06:14 AM

That's for Devil's Canyon only. :(
Old May 13, 2014, 09:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
That's for Devil's Canyon only. :(
I know, it sucks that it took them 2 generations to figure this crap out...

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2014, 09:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Were there technical reasons for switching from fluxless solder to TIM to begin with? Or purely financial?

Old May 15, 2014, 11:17 AM
Rookie

Hey,

Any update on "However, we did have the occasional "Power Surge On Hub Port" error present itself while running Prime 95, but we suspect that it might be due to a misbehaving USB device on our end or just a bad manually-set BIOS setting. We will update this if needed."?

Picked up the mobo myself and have the same problem. The error occurs all the time under heavy load and actually disconnects/reconnects my USB stuff :s
Old May 15, 2014, 04:39 PM

ASUS just published a new BIOS for the board. Try that.
Old May 16, 2014, 04:44 AM
Manufacturer Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by negis View Post
Hey,

Any update on "However, we did have the occasional "Power Surge On Hub Port" error present itself while running Prime 95, but we suspect that it might be due to a misbehaving USB device on our end or just a bad manually-set BIOS setting. We will update this if needed."?

Picked up the mobo myself and have the same problem. The error occurs all the time under heavy load and actually disconnects/reconnects my USB stuff :s

Can you list all USB devices plugged into the board and which ports they are in please?

Need to pass to HQ for replication.
Old May 16, 2014, 07:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vittra View Post
Were there technical reasons for switching from fluxless solder to TIM to begin with? Or purely financial?
I'd like to know that as well.

I will probably replace the thermal paste inside my 3770K once the warranty is over but so far it can still max overclock around 5.2 but i run it at 4.5 to keep it cool and extremely stable
Old May 16, 2014, 01:44 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSS4x View Post
I'd like to know that as well.

I will probably replace the thermal paste inside my 3770K once the warranty is over but so far it can still max overclock around 5.2 but i run it at 4.5 to keep it cool and extremely stable
Two fold. First Cost. TIM is faster and cheaper to apply. This means more finished cpus coming off the line (ie removing a bottleneck). This is actually secondary...and more a bonus.

Secondly...the size of the core is getting smaller. This makes it hard to apply solder to it (ie higher defective products being rejected by the QC dept). PLUS we are talking about lead free solder (thanks EU ) so the chances of whiskers and micro-cracking (heating/cooling cycles) causing problems is larger on these smaller cores (ie higher RMA rates over the warranty period). This is why the 'server' chips are still using solder....but I doubt we will see many - if any - using it for the consumer marketplace in the future.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr