Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2014, 04:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default AMD Kaveri A10-7850K & A8-7600 Review (Comment Thread)

AMD's Kaveri is finally here and we look at the A10-7850K & A8-7600. With IPC improvements, Steamroller x86 cores and a GCN-based graphics processor, this may be the one we've been waiting for.

Read more here: AMD Kaveri A10-7850K & A8-7600 Review
Old January 14, 2014, 05:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Steamroller architecture seems a dud : single threaded performance is 4% less than Thuban at a 10% speed disadvantage for Thuban, and almost 50% less than Haswell at 200MHz advantage for Steamroller! This is a big disappointment. Setting aside the speed advantage of Richland, there seems to be no IPC improvement on the CPU part between Richland and Kaveri. So much wait for nothing.
Old January 14, 2014, 05:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Expect Excavator to be more of the same....
Old January 14, 2014, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

AMD really do need to have a lift in the cpu side of things... refinement for their GPU's but god are the processors in trouble. Would rather an x4 or x6 + discreet second hand vs this.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old January 14, 2014, 06:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No wonder their FX line is nowhere in the roadmap. Unfortunately they have bet on the fact that the software will improve in leaps and bounds using new instructions and unfortunately that is not the case. AMD is treading just markets that Intel doesn't really want. And not even when Kaveri is out, Mantle is still nowhere in sight. Yes sure, AMD has the edge at integrated graphics, but they had that for a long time, is time for them address the CPU shortcomings. It seems that when AMD is delaying launches the product seems to be a dud. The guys at Tomshardware say the Pentium Haswell CPUs begin to trail the Core i3s in games, so you could get a cpu and mobo for 150$, pop in an AMD 7750 GPU and you beat the crap out of a Kaveri setup for the same price.

Last edited by MARSTG; January 14, 2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old January 14, 2014, 08:04 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Great review Sky.

While the others are right, the CPU situation is nothing impressive, for HTPCs and systems without a discreet card, this looks like a solid solution. I've been mulling over starting an SNES HTPC mod for a few months but decided to wait and see what the Kaveri lineup looked like. The bump in performance over the ordinary FM2 and over the i3/5 intel HD graphics makes me glad I waited. Now the question is; how soon can I get an FM2+ m-itx motherboard :D
Old January 14, 2014, 08:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm curious to see what Mantle can do for these as well, though I imagine we all want to see what Mantle can do for AMD GPUs too...
Old January 14, 2014, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Absolutely horrible CPU performance. WTF was AMD thinking years ago when they moved from Phenom II's to the garbage that is known as Bulldozer and all it's variants? Anyone building anything, would be foolish to build on FM2+ platform. Get a low end Intel processor and a discrete video card and you're miles ahead of anything AMD has to offer.

This coming from a person who has 5 computer systems in my house, all AMD powered. I won't be buying anything from AMD anytime soon now, except their video cards.

I don't know how anyone could put any positive spin on these new chips, except possibly, the lower TDP parts.

A10-7850K = 95 watts of lameness.

Last edited by freeloader1969; January 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old January 14, 2014, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

Interesting the A10-7850K does seem underwhelming. Perhaps they should have named it the 7800K or even 7750K.(and priced it accordingly) That said will mantle be the first real world benchmark that can be used to bench Huma? The only thing I can think of is they were planing on having mantle done on BF4 and that would have shown a real difference to the 6800K.
Old January 14, 2014, 12:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

On the one hand I'm disappointed with Kaveri, the A10 is underwhelming to say the least.

However, the A8 has just made the top of my list for HTPC, and other SFF-type builds. It would also be the goto for a new computer for my parents.

I'd be interested in seeing how (well) Dual Graphics is implemented. Along with Mantle and True Audio (Anything announced using both?), it could become somewhat more compelling.

Side Note: Anybody else get the feeling Intel let's AMD do the heavy lifting when it comes to new architecture-type things (64-bit, Multiple cores, now HSA) and then reap the benefits?

Last edited by dARqSyDE; January 14, 2014 at 12:41 PM.