Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2014, 11:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Not exactly correct dragon. You are forgetting those performance improvements at the cycle level. IE efficiency. Depending on the test or scenario a 4770K is 5-10% more efficient per clock than a 3770k. This means a 4.5GHz Haswell will outperform a 4.7Ghz to 4.9Ghz Ivy B. Add in the reduced power requirements, the lower noise need to cool it at the more moderate OC ...and the H is the better chip for most people. The only exceptions are edge cases who will push the 3770K well past these levels.

People get too caught up in numbers. AMD and Intel know this and thats why the Ghz war raged as long as it did. Peeps need to stop looking at GHz and start looking at results. Add in the better PCH that goes along with Haswell (Z87) and the Intel 4 is the only sensible choice for new builds. NOW for someone on a 3770K...skip the 4 series and wait for the 5...or 6 series. Its the only sensible thing to do as most of the improvements are nullified by a liberal use of OC. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 12, 2014, 12:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Not exactly correct dragon. You are forgetting those performance improvements at the cycle level. IE efficiency. Depending on the test or scenario a 4770K is 5-10% more efficient per clock than a 3770k. This means a 4.5GHz Haswell will outperform a 4.7Ghz to 4.9Ghz Ivy B. Add in the reduced power requirements, the lower noise need to cool it at the more moderate OC ...and the H is the better chip for most people. The only exceptions are edge cases who will push the 3770K well past these levels.

People get too caught up in numbers. AMD and Intel know this and thats why the Ghz war raged as long as it did. Peeps need to stop looking at GHz and start looking at results. Add in the better PCH that goes along with Haswell (Z87) and the Intel 4 is the only sensible choice for new builds. NOW for someone on a 3770K...skip the 4 series and wait for the 5...or 6 series. Its the only sensible thing to do as most of the improvements are nullified by a liberal use of OC. ;)
Haha this makes me feel so much better. I guess coming from an i5-750 my choice of Haswell isn't bad.
Photography/Gaming build: i7-4770K, NH-D14, Z87 Sabertooth, 16GB Ripjaws X, GTX 780 OC DirectCU II 3GB, M500 480GB, Caviar Black 2TB, Dual Red 4TBx2 (RAID 1), XFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold, Graphite Series 600T SE White
HTPC build: i5-750, Hyper 212+, P7P55D Pro, 8GB Ripjaws X, R6970 DirectCU II 2GB, Caviar Black 640GB/2TB, Caviar Green 3TB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Strider Plus 750W, CM 690 II Advanced
Mobile Media: Asus Transformer Infinity 32GB w/ keyboard dock