Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2014, 01:44 AM
Rookie

Default Asus Rampage Black Edition Doubt

Hey guys, how you doing?

I've got a doubt about this crazy motherboard, Asus Rampage Black Edition . It's possible to install two Asus GTX 780 DC2OC in 2-way SLI and two Asus RaidR Express PCIe SSD in Raid 0 ? There's space enough?

Thanks for your answers.
Old January 9, 2014, 03:08 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

We'll mine will be here shortly then I can answer that easily the setup I'll be running is almost simular to what your asking.

I'll be using a single Asus Raidr as boot drive and duel 840 pro 256Gb Samsung ssd's. From the Manuel I have downloaded looks like it'd be tight if cards are duel slot.

Im waiting on a new pcie ssd from Mushkin might be interesting if it's really pcie x4.
Old January 9, 2014, 02:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yes. This board supports 4 way sli/cfx. It not only has the proper spacing (double spacing), proper electrical slots (16x), it has enough pcie lanes to not bottleneck your raid 0 array with a sli configuration.

Here's a thought though. If you want something that is more extreme than ROG ssd you could buy a good raid controller pcie card and then you're not stuck with any particular brand of ssd.

I really haven't heard of running a raid 0 array off of two seperate PCIe devices. How it's usually done is the pcie card is itself a raid controller and either has soldered on SSDs or it has a whole ton of sata3 connectors.

I don't know if you can even do a raid array with two pcie devices.... we need a guru on this...

Why I say this is the raid controller (as far as I know) is a physical chip connected to the sata3 ports. So if you pcie devices, as far as i know there is no raid controller that's physically connected to the pcie bus.

Again, this is beyond me, we need a true SSD guru's opinion on this.
Old January 9, 2014, 03:12 PM

My System Specs

You cannot RAID PCIe SSDS. Not besides a software RAID, but that would require a separate SSD as a boot drive.
Old January 9, 2014, 06:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Iv actually read that on Rog forums ppl wanting 2-4 of these in a raid array.

When I couldn't find one in Canada I went to the manufactures websites forum to push the question when will we in Canada be able to buy one.

But like I was saying earlier much faster pcie ssds are on way these new ones are about 1000mbs faster then the Raidr.
Old January 10, 2014, 01:57 AM
Rookie

I see. Thx for your answers :D