Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 16, 2013, 06:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Question Dead Motherboard ?

Hello everyone !

So a friend of mine told me that his HP-DV5 1179er isn't responding to power button (No light, no image on display, no spinning fan) so he asked me to try to repair it. I've checked the HDD and it is OK, tried booting with each of the memory modules, still no luck, tried to reset BIOS by removing the BIOS battery...nothing, hard reset didn't work either (keeping pressed power button for like 45-60 seconds). When i connect display to the VGA port the display recognizes it and turns into blank instead of telling me that no signal is incoming. Also when I plug the power, the LED right near the charging port lighs up and when I try to manually turn it on by touching 2 power pins with a screwdriver the power LED comes on but no bootup and as soon as I don't touch those pins the light turns off.

Is the motherboard dead? Do I need to replace it? Please Help!

Sorry if I did something wrong, this is my first post and I tried my best to explain the situation
And sorry if I wrote something wrong (I'm 16 and English isn't my native language)

Last edited by Qyabab; December 16, 2013 at 06:28 AM.
Old December 16, 2013, 07:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Need specs on machine you are working on, the number you have indicates that it is a laptop. There is a ton of resources on the web regarding troubleshooting. It can be difficult and will be made easier if you have some spare parts or computers to swap parts in and out of. Here is one link you can start with for testing:
http:// http://vip.asus.com/forum/vi...Language=en-us

Make sure the monitor is working, that threw me for a loop once.

Let us know how you are making out.

Last edited by stoanee; December 16, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old December 16, 2013, 08:22 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

The link isn't working for me :(

I don't think the problem is in the monitor (I plugged an external one-still same)

Specs are:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4Ghz (Socket PGA478)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
RAM: 3GB (1GB+2GB)
Chipset: Intel® PM45 Express

(As you know the laptop isn't working so I can't find specs with cpu-z or similar program so I copied this stuff from another website :D I think they are right)
Old December 16, 2013, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok so it's a laptop, right there your options are limited..

Is the powersupply ok? Sounds like it is getting power though, did you take it all apart that you got to expose the motherboard switch? Cool...

Try removing the battery for 10 minutes and putting it back, that's an old trick not sure if still effective.

Otherwise it sounds like a motherboard issue for sure... What are your plans to find a replacement board?
Old December 16, 2013, 10:59 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

There was no battery in it since a long time ago (2012). And yes wherever I read about DV5-s I notice each has overheating issue so I think the southbridge or the northbridge failed. When I disassembled laptop there was a low quality thermal pad on the northbridge. I wanted just to make sure it's a motherboard failure before replacing it (Also thought that the power button may not work, less than likely)
Old December 16, 2013, 11:00 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

What's a good website to purchase a replacement motherboard from?
Old December 16, 2013, 11:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Good job diagnosing the laptop. I'm not sure if you can try another powersupply connector or maybe you can check the voltage on the output of the power supply to be 100% certain.

It sounds like you've got enough skills to repair this. though

Ebay is probably your best bet:

HP DV5-1179er motherboard | eBay

Determine if it's worth fixing financially with your friend or just have him invest in a new one..
Old December 16, 2013, 11:23 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thank you very much ! Much appreciated ! I found a website HP Pavilion dv5-1179er FV748EA motherboard |HP Pavilion dv5-1179er FV748EA Laptop motherboard but I emailed them and they said they don't ship to my country. Is ebay safe enough? I know I shouldn't purchase any PC parts from china, so is it ok to purchase from US or UK?

I think the power supply is just fine, because I can turn on the power LED as I have written before. And if I connect the 6 pin power button connector, the power button would also light up by connecting those 2 pins.
Old December 16, 2013, 12:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Exclamation

So just another detail my friend just told me. Once he used hos DV7-s 19.5V Charger, Original charger is designed for 19V. Also it's output was 6.15A (vs original 4.74A)

Would this be the possible reason of failed motherboard? (Fried mobo?)
Old December 16, 2013, 06:27 PM
Allstar

I wouldn't think so because that output rating is the maximum rated. Since your older power supply is lower, it should be fine. Could it be a loose power socket on the laptop, as it the power plug giggles?

Tags
hp pavilion , motherboard