Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2013, 11:03 PM
Rookie

Default Z87 motherboard

Transitioning from Z68 Asus Maximus Gene Z IV w/2600K @ 4.7 GHz to Z87 w/4770K .I am currently on high end air(Noctua DH14 or Thermal right Silver Arrow hsf) and would prefer to stay with that if possible. I want to return to ATX format,my Gene Z has a apparently dead PCI e slot that won't recognize my souncard. So it will be going to one of my son's.
Boards I am considering are in no particular order Asus Z87 Pro/Deluxe or Sabertooth... although the Maximus Formula VI is a possibility I have no desire anymore for pushing the CPU to the edge ( been there done that Intel Celeron 300A, AMD Duron 600, AMD Thunderbird 1Ghz etc)
Gigabyte UD4 or UD5 ( TD has a good deal on the UD5 @ $200 after rebate ). I am concerned that there are a lot of reports on newegg about issues with the USB ports not functioning properly.
Last choice is the MSI GD65 Gaming although I really don't need the Killer nic.
So to re-cap want a mid range mb to get a 4770K to 4.5-4.7Ghz if possible, reliably (I mean with as few of issues as possible) .

Last edited by mongo; December 4, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old December 3, 2013, 02:13 AM

My System Specs

I rather like my Z87x-ud5h. It has been my best experience yet with Gigabyte boards and honestly my best experience with uefi. The only issues I have with use is that usb 2.0 devices may not work in the bios. Unplugging and reconnecting the device always worked. It holds my 4770k at 4.6GHz. Although the CPU required delidding and a lot of voltage to get there.

PS, I think you may have bought a Swiftech Storm from me (plus one or two other items) from me when I lived in Saskatoon about 7-8 years ago.
Old December 4, 2013, 08:03 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I rather like my Z87x-ud5h. It has been my best experience yet with Gigabyte boards and honestly my best experience with uefi. The only issues I have with use is that usb 2.0 devices may not work in the bios. Unplugging and reconnecting the device always worked. It holds my 4770k at 4.6GHz. Although the CPU required delidding and a lot of voltage to get there.

PS, I think you may have bought a Swiftech Storm from me (plus one or two other items) from me when I lived in Saskatoon about 7-8 years ago.

Thanks for the reply....yes indeed I have purchased several items when you were living in Saskatoon,
(I still have some of that 3/4" blue water tubing and that thick high speed San-Ace fan!!).
I still haven't made up my mind about which board to purchase, there really is a vast amount of choices and there doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on the best "bang for the buck".
I have also expanded the choices to include the the Asus Maximus VI Hero and Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H.
I'm trying to stay around the $200 range before taxes/shipping.
Old December 4, 2013, 11:50 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

There is a review on the Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H on HWC. That is going to be my next board :) I like the color scheme.