i7 920 or i5 4760K
So here is my dilemma, my mobo has crapped out on my i7 920. So which route do I go:
1- A used ASUS Rampage II Extreme for $80 (from a HWC!)
2- Get a new i5 4670K and a new mobo/Ram for $450
Is it time to upgrade? Or should I be patching it till Skylake? I'll be deciding by today to try and get some deals one way or the other.
That would really depend on what games and resolution you are playing at. If you weren't finding the 920 a bottleneck you might as well keep it for a while.
Rome II, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, etc all at 1920x1080, plus media streaming.
stick with your current cpu.
Its really a no brainer. Why stay with a CPU that will give you increased heat and use more power.
If you can afford the 4760k do it.
$450 vs $80 for almost zero gain. How is that a no brainer? I'm itching to upgrade to but my i5 750 is still perfect for gaming. Of course if you want the nice new features of Z87 then by all means. Waiting sucks though.
If you have been thinking about upgrading, found your current cpu lacking, care about power savings/heat, or want or need any of the features on new motherboards, then it is the perfect time to upgrade...otherwise a new motherboard is going to be a ton cheaper. Really its your call.
Thanks Gents, I think I will grab the Rampage 2 for now... I would like to go cheaper with it being x-mas and all. Then hopefully steal one of your systems when Skylake comes out! haha
Thanks for the help!
My x58 classified 3 crapped out.
RMA to eVGA.
No x58 boards left.
I got a x79 Classified from eVGA no charge. So Had to sell my cpu and buy a 2011 socket cpu.
I picked up a 4930k. For gaming not much difference.
I would have taken a x58 and not shell out the cash.
So if it was me, get the $80 mb.
There is not much gain with the new stuff other than native usb3, sata 3 and pcie 3.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00 PM.|