Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2013, 09:44 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Which 1150 motherboard?

Well next purchase on the docket of my "over time" upgrade.

I want to get a i7 4770K but I'm not sure what exactly I want for a motherboard.

I was looking at the Maximus VI Formula because I like the onboard sound that it's got,

Just checking for advice for or against that. I'm kinda turned off of the mosfet block on that board being aluminum.

Im looking for higher end but I do want a board that I can get a mosfet block for.

I could just get the Maximus VI Extreme but I don't think it has the good onboard sound.

Last edited by Birk; October 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Funny i was looking at 1150 motherboards and i7's today. I'm upgrading my office computer and decided to custom build one. (Well our IT tech will custom build this one to my spec's but maybe he'll let me help). I have no idea other than this IT guy is partial to ASUS and Antec so I'm going with that. I have not decided on whether the i7 is worth an extra $100 over an i5 on a business machine that is used only for business. i will be loading a couple of low demand graphics programs like Photoshop Elements, but 90& of the work is MS Office (10) and accounting software, plus Chrome on line. Upgrading is not all that common - my current machine still has a floppy drive for Pete's sake. (Actually it was carried forward into my current box about five years or so ago from the previous machine as we still had some old old stuff on disks - it has not been used for years).

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old October 18, 2013, 09:32 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I would go with the MVIF. What is wrong with the aluminum block? I know they aren't as good as copper when it comes to cooling but I think it should do just fine. Mind you I have the MVF and it was just as good! I am going to the store to grab me the MVIF in the next 30 miuntes!

Another option would be to get the Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H. I used to have the Z77X-UD5H and it was a solid board.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I would go with the MVIF. What is wrong with the aluminum block? I know they aren't as good as copper when it comes to cooling but I think it should do just fine. Mind you I have the MVF and it was just as good! I am going to the store to grab me the MVIF in the next 30 miuntes!

Another option would be to get the Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H. I used to have the Z77X-UD5H and it was a solid board.
Just had a quick look at the board to confirm that it's a WC block and conventional wisdom has it that you don't mix different metals in your loop due to galvanic corrosion. That said... I'm pretty sure that the distances between different blocks negates any chance of that being an issue.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 18, 2013, 09:40 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Just had a quick look at the board to confirm that it's a WC block and conventional wisdom has it that you don't mix different metals in your loop due to galvanic corrosion. That said... I'm pretty sure that the distances between different blocks negates any chance of that being an issue.
I see what you mean. But the distance isn't good when the loop goes from CPU block to MOFSET block. So I guess whoever buys the MVIF should get a copper block for the MOFSET. Is that correct?
Old October 18, 2013, 09:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
I see what you mean. But the distance isn't good when the loop goes from CPU block to MOFSET block. So I guess whoever buys the MVIF should get a copper block for the MOFSET. Is that correct?
That would be the concern, and it seems strange to me that they didn't take the block composition into account when they produced the motherboard, but even with the short distance(s) between the mosfet and CPU blocks I don't believe galvanic corrosion would be a problem. IIRC it pretty much has to be metal on metal for the differences in potential to have that effect.

Convincing folks who've been told from day one that mixing metal types in a loop is a bad thing is probably not going to be easy though.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old October 18, 2013, 10:05 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
That would be the concern, and it seems strange to me that they didn't take the block composition into account when they produced the motherboard, but even with the short distance(s) between the mosfet and CPU blocks I don't believe galvanic corrosion would be a problem. IIRC it pretty much has to be metal on metal for the differences in potential to have that effect.

Convincing folks who've been told from day one that mixing metal types in a loop is a bad thing is probably not going to be easy though.
OK. I see what you mean. I never noticed any changes or corrosion in my loop when I was running 3570K and MVF. So I am assuming all is well here. I would hate to have to buy a new block if I were to get the MVIF because I like the design of the one supplied by ASUS.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:12 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Yea I'd like to trust Asus judgment on this one for such a high end board. I'd like to think they put some thought into all this.

How do you find the sound on your Formula board compared to a standard motherboard?
Old October 18, 2013, 11:00 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Yea I'd like to trust Asus judgment on this one for such a high end board. I'd like to think they put some thought into all this.

How do you find the sound on your Formula board compared to a standard motherboard?
The sound is good compared to the Z77X-UD5H but I went ahead and grabbed me a sound card when I got my speakers. I think they improved a lot over on the Z87 MVIF compared to the MVF!
Old October 18, 2013, 11:36 AM

My System Specs

Never ever ever mix aluminum w/ copper in a loop w/o a corrosion inhibitor. Doing so is asking for trouble for everything in the entire loop. It is hard to beleive Asus was so short sited here. They released some bullcrap test showing how well it held up during a salt spray test. However this is meaningless for galvanic corrosion.

So if you want the M6F then don't use the mosfet block, you shouldn't need it anyways.

The M5F used copper tubing through the heatsink which is why you didn't see any corrosion. Just like all their previous boards that had watercooling.