Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 20, 2013, 09:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The real answer to why they used aluminum is because they wanted to save a couple of bucks. Swiftech once made the mistake about using 'military grade' anodized aluminum on a block top. It ended up being a disaster. Google 'Swiftech GTX corrosion' if you want to see the mess this can create.

The downside of the Hero is that it doesn't the cool looking heat shield thing.
The shield is a very hard plastic. I had the chance to inspect the board and I didn't like how the shield felt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
the hero looks great I do wish that they had kept the combo port. The price is right and with the difference from the formula I could afford the water block. It is definitely high on my list right now.
I think the Hero is a good choice and you should also get a sound card if you really want to experience great sound. I will never go back to using on board sound.
Old October 21, 2013, 12:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

You could always run the aluminum mofset block in its own loop and buy a cheapo aluminum radiator.

You can also run a high glycol loop, but it is pretty frekin' stupid of ASUS to use an aluminum block.

On a side note, why would you need to liquid cool a z87 chipset?
Old October 21, 2013, 01:15 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
The shield is a very hard plastic. I had the chance to inspect the board and I didn't like how the shield felt.
The shield is mostly for looks. It looks pretty good IMO.

The mosfets on my Z87X-UD5H are extremely cool and they have almost zero airflow. The PCH however runs rather warm.
Old October 21, 2013, 01:22 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post

You can also run a high glycol loop, but it is pretty frekin' stupid of ASUS to use an aluminum block.

On a side note, why would you need to liquid cool a z87 chipset?
For the same reason we liquid cool Ram :)
Old October 21, 2013, 01:33 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

ahh pure pwnage reasons, I like!
Old October 21, 2013, 01:51 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm pretty sure that the distances between different blocks negates any chance of that being an issue.
Correct. The plastic tubing is an insulator and zero galvanic corrosion potential gets transferred. There may be a minuscule amount from any metals that get suspended in the liquid. I just pulled apart my loop and inspected it after over 10 years of use and there was zero corrosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Convincing folks who've been told from day one that mixing metal types in a loop is a bad thing is probably not going to be easy though.
Like this guy VVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Never ever ever mix aluminum w/ copper in a loop w/o a corrosion inhibitor. Doing so is asking for trouble for everything in the entire loop.
Bzzzzzzt. wrong. Never touch 2 different metals together in a loop. That was the issue with the gtx waterblock.

I have the Hero VI board and I like it. great sound on board too. A couple things though. DO NOT install the aisuite software. It will clog your OS, piece of junk. And removing it won't happen. I had to do a fresh build. Second, there is no wake on keyboard feature. Massive over site if you ask me.
Old October 21, 2013, 02:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post

Bzzzzzzt. wrong. Never touch 2 different metals together in a loop. That was the issue with the gtx waterblock.
While technically you are right, I suppose some guys just like to play it safe and not take any chances where very expensive components are involved.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 21, 2013, 08:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Correct. The plastic tubing is an insulator and zero galvanic corrosion potential gets transferred. There may be a minuscule amount from any metals that get suspended in the liquid. I just pulled apart my loop and inspected it after over 10 years of use and there was zero corrosion.

Like this guy VVV

I have the Hero VI board and I like it. great sound on board too. A couple things though. DO NOT install the aisuite software. It will clog your OS, piece of junk. And removing it won't happen. I had to do a fresh build. Second, there is no wake on keyboard feature. Massive over site if you ask me.
So, what you are saying is that it's ok to go with M6F even though it has aluminum mofset block? I decided to go with the Hero and I don't like what I am hearing about the no wake on keyboard feature. I might have to take it back now.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero1 View Post
So, what you are saying is that it's ok to go with M6F even though it has aluminum mofset block? I decided to go with the Hero and I don't like what I am hearing about the no wake on keyboard feature. I might have to take it back now.
I think that may be a bug with Z87 as a whole, not just that specific board. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old October 22, 2013, 01:23 AM
Rookie

cant go run with the Z87x, I have a gigabyte z68x and its been rock solid