Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 18, 2013, 01:47 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Never ever ever mix aluminum w/ copper in a loop w/o a corrosion inhibitor. Doing so is asking for trouble for everything in the entire loop. It is hard to beleive Asus was so short sited here. They released some bullcrap test showing how well it held up during a salt spray test. However this is meaningless for galvanic corrosion.

So if you want the M6F then don't use the mosfet block, you shouldn't need it anyways.

The M5F used copper tubing through the heatsink which is why you didn't see any corrosion. Just like all their previous boards that had watercooling.
Thanks for the input. I will definitely not use it then and I will be running some tests on my MVF and see if it still boots, which I think it should as it was table when I took the system apart. If it does then I will grab me a 3770K.
Old October 18, 2013, 02:45 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

So I've spent that last 45 minutes on live chat with someone from Asus and they ended up having to have a mini meeting and a phone call to the ROG Project manager to answer the question haha.

I also asked why they chose to go with Aluminum this time around but they were unable to provide an answer to that one.

Here is their official response to the question of Galvanic Corrosion.

"Galvanic corrosion is typically very slow unless the metal is intentionally corroded. It's an aluminum alloy mixed with a few other metals to prevent oxidation"
Old October 18, 2013, 03:20 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
So I've spent that last 45 minutes on live chat with someone from Asus and they ended up having to have a mini meeting and a phone call to the ROG Project manager to answer the question haha.

I also asked why they chose to go with Aluminum this time around but they were unable to provide an answer to that one.

Here is their official response to the question of Galvanic Corrosion.

"Galvanic corrosion is typically very slow unless the metal is intentionally corroded. It's an aluminum alloy mixed with a few other metals to prevent oxidation"
I did some search and I think you are better off going with the MVI Hero. It only has 1 less PCI-E lane and doesn't have the water block. I personally would go with the Hero unless you were to run 3-SLI/CFX which is pointless for this platform.
Old October 18, 2013, 07:59 PM

My System Specs

The real answer to why they used aluminum is because they wanted to save a couple of bucks. Swiftech once made the mistake about using 'military grade' anodized aluminum on a block top. It ended up being a disaster. Google 'Swiftech GTX corrosion' if you want to see the mess this can create.

The downside of the Hero is that it doesn't the cool looking heat shield thing.
Old October 18, 2013, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

MSI Mpower worth a look too.. have the z77 version and am very impressed.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old October 19, 2013, 05:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
MSI Mpower worth a look too.. have the z77 version and am very impressed.
The Z77 version looks a lot better than the Z87 one IMO. Was going to do a wiz khalifa inspired build, but the z87 mpower's yellow weren't painted at the right places.

But anyway, I think you should go with the hero Op.
Old October 19, 2013, 05:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Hero would be high on my list for z87 too., :)

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
DeeraxTheCoolNemo: "I never preSs CaPLoCK I just HiT my keyS so Hard ThEY Crit"
Old October 19, 2013, 10:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

the hero looks great I do wish that they had kept the combo port. The price is right and with the difference from the formula I could afford the water block. It is definitely high on my list right now.
Old October 19, 2013, 11:44 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortkentdad View Post
Funny i was looking at 1150 motherboards and i7's today. I'm upgrading my office computer and decided to custom build one. (Well our IT tech will custom build this one to my spec's but maybe he'll let me help). I have no idea other than this IT guy is partial to ASUS and Antec so I'm going with that. I have not decided on whether the i7 is worth an extra $100 over an i5 on a business machine that is used only for business. i will be loading a couple of low demand graphics programs like Photoshop Elements, but 90& of the work is MS Office (10) and accounting software, plus Chrome on line. Upgrading is not all that common - my current machine still has a floppy drive for Pete's sake. (Actually it was carried forward into my current box about five years or so ago from the previous machine as we still had some old old stuff on disks - it has not been used for years).
The i5 would be just fine.
16GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866
Corsair TX750w in a Corsair 550d
Old October 19, 2013, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birk View Post
Well next purchase on the docket of my "over time" upgrade.

I want to get a i7 4770K but I'm not sure what exactly I want for a motherboard.

I was looking at the Maximus VI Formula because I like the onboard sound that it's got,

Just checking for advice for or against that. I'm kinda turned off of the mosfet block on that board being aluminum.

Im looking for higher end but I do want a board that I can get a mosfet block for.

I could just get the Maximus VI Extreme but I don't think it has the good onboard sound.

I'm personally going with a Z87 Pro or Expert. Whichever I find first that has C2 stepping fix. [I know it does not matter, but to me it does]
16GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866
Corsair TX750w in a Corsair 550d