Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2013, 03:48 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default X79 refreshes

So far, the only available X79 board younger then 6mo old is the EVGA X79 Dark LINK
Then there's the Asus announced but not yet available X79 Deluxe LINK
Similar story with the Gigabyte Assasin 2 LINK
The MSI page doesn't even list their X79 matx board anymore, long since gone on clearance at the retail stores, is there gonna be a refresh?

I'm really wanting to hold out for a new board (matx) before I complete my build..... how long am I gonna have to wait? I could get the Gene IV now and see what comes out later..... Really wish some NDA guys would PM me some info :)

-end rant

Have an A-1 day!
Old September 26, 2013, 04:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Lowfat's gonna like the treatment on those rear panel connectors, but I'm not sure "Dark" is a good name to be using for a motherboard considering the rep the last motherboard with that naming scheme got.... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DoorGTZ View Post
So far, the only available X79 board younger then 6mo old is the EVGA X79 Dark LINK
Then there's the Asus announced but not yet available X79 Deluxe LINK
Similar story with the Gigabyte Assasin 2 LINK
The MSI page doesn't even list their X79 matx board anymore, long since gone on clearance at the retail stores, is there gonna be a refresh?

I'm really wanting to hold out for a new board (matx) before I complete my build..... how long am I gonna have to wait? I could get the Gene IV now and see what comes out later..... Really wish some NDA guys would PM me some info :)

-end rant

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 26, 2013, 04:43 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Lowfat's gonna like the treatment on those rear panel connectors, but I'm not sure "Dark" is a good name to be using for a motherboard considering the rep the last motherboard with that naming scheme got.... ;)
That is the only thing I like about the board unfortunately. Those 90° connectors are so silly, especially on a board so wide. That attrocious 'E' is probably the biggest eyesore I've seen on any board ever. The 8-pin EPS connector is in an awful position, pretty much guaranteed to block the use of a top mounted radiator in most cases. Can't say I'd trust their bioses either. My experiences w/ the SR-2 and E760 X58 Classified left a horrible taste in my mouth.

/rant.
Old September 26, 2013, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You forgot the new Rampage IV Extreme Black!

Rampage IV Black Edition: The Ultimate LGA2011 Motherboard | Republic of Gamers

And if you want mATX, I don't think LGA2011 is for you. You want LGA1150.

Last edited by JD; September 26, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 06:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmmmm.... both 8 pin and 4 pin motherboard power connectors?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 26, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

On the EVGA, the heatsink at the top is HUGE too so unless your using water it'll be hard to find a good cooler for it..
Granted 2011 is enthusiast.. but I wonder how many people even on x79 use custom loops (and some hate AIO's)

Even if you wanted a custom loop the heatsink is probably in the way for at least some cases.
The bottom fans on my AIO would be blocked if(I had this board) I didn't have room to mount it and fans on the top under the top cover.

Has definitely been subdued reaction / hype to IB-E.. They really should have revised x79.. even just to add SATA III and USB III natively.

Would have had many more upgrading than has and would generate more hype about the platform through new board releases etc.

And why on earth should he go 1150 for MATX?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"

Last edited by Dzzope; September 26, 2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old September 26, 2013, 07:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

The MSI X79MA-GD45 (finally) released a bios update for Ivy-E, officially supporting the i7's, wonder if it'll support the E5 v2's now (unofficially) too?
Actually, as stupid as it sounds I'd have bought a Rampage Gene IV already if it had a blue color scheme.
I don't need a blue color scheme matx x79, that would be too many wishes to come true..... just something neutral that can go with blue.

Have an A-1 day!
Old September 26, 2013, 07:53 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Probably the best looking board ever. I expect it to be north of 5 bills though.
Old October 3, 2013, 10:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Asus X-79 Deluxe now at MemX (nearly sold out) for $369

.....come on matx x79, I know you're out there (er hope)

Have an A-1 day!
Old October 4, 2013, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Lowfat ...curious what "problems" you had with your X58 Evga Board? My Evga Classified X58 759 LE (1st series to be released), has been as as solid as a rock since I purchased it yrs ago, certainly the last great Evga Board in my books and also with many of my counterpart Forum OC'ers!!
As for Dark, take a look at the Forum, still sorting out numerous problems, wouldn't go near it yet at this point, but why when the "ancient" RIVE is screaming along without issues.

The Dark looks alright, like the look of the new UEFI and certainly like the 90 degree 24 Pin, makes total sense!!! the placement of the PCI -E Aux 6 pin power is in a far better location then my RIVE, along the bottom edge. (RIVE is in the middle of the Board).

As for CPU power connectors along the top edge, same issue as RIVE having th located on the top edge, hinders some Rads with push/ pull fans but do your homework as some cases are large enough to accommodate.

My previous X58 Classified Board had 2x 8 Pin CPU connectors located at the back of the Board adjacent to Mosfets and not on top edge, that Board was perfect for any behemoth Air Cooler.

With the option of excellent AIO Coolers out there no need for clunky large air coolers anymore. I think my Swiftech H320 rivals many custom loops for CPU cooling and OC'ability reaching 5 Ghz on a 3930k and heat isn't my issue, it's voltage limits.
I would think most folks going 2011 are looking at OC'ing and better solutions then air.

Agree with Lowfat, if U was in the market for a new X79 Board, ASUS Black Edition all the way!!!! Would think $489 or there abouts.

Last edited by rjbarker; October 4, 2013 at 04:30 PM.