Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2013, 09:07 AM
Rookie

Default Benefit of buying gpu+mobo from same manufaturer??

I finally saved enough money and bought a FX-8350(thanks to great_big_abyss's advice)and a Gigabyte HD7970 OC. My next purchase will be a, GA-990FXA-UD3 with 2x16 for future crossfire plus the 990 chipset for overclocking.
Finally to my question, is there any benefits when buying a gpu+mobo from the same manufacturer, does it gives any extra boost in performance that a noob like myself doesn't know?

I also upgraded my PSU to this: Thermaltake Smart 750W ATX 12V V2.3 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 120mm Fan I hope this will be enough for future crossfire upgrade.
Old September 21, 2013, 09:50 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

MSI has their line of gaming stuff that adds features but I don't think gigabyte or anyone else does.
Old September 21, 2013, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I know in ASUS's case, you can flash a UEFI to their video cards which pairs up with the UEFI on the motherboard thus improving boot speeds. And on the RoG lineup, there's volt-mod points on the motherboard that you can hook up to certain ASUS cards.

That being said, the benefits of pairing up same manufacturer motherboard and GPU is pretty negligible. I surely wouldn't insist upon it. Buy whatever card and board suits your needs/wants.
Old September 21, 2013, 10:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As far as performance goes there is no difference.

Unfortunately I would NOT recommend crossfire 7970 and an 8350 on that power supply. I would go for a quality 850w power supply for that (750w would do if it was great quality, but thermaltake is not IMO).
Old September 21, 2013, 10:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yeh I wouldn't CF 7950/7970 on anything less then a known very well rated power supply such as HX750 or better it just isn't a good idea you just make the pus work stupid hard for nothing and if voltages are not stable cause the psu is incapable of doing so over extended periods you are asking for major problems least of which burned out parts.

Not much benefit of going same maker for motherboard and gpu besides a few extra features in a general sense like temp monitoring, possible bios flashing and the like, but from the vast majority of the feature set maker to maker, it remains the same as they are based on specific chipsets be it GPU or Motherboard anyways. go for best cooled better overclock chance for my gpu and of course rma support, for motherboard I use asus period.
Old September 22, 2013, 08:01 AM
Rookie

As someone else pointed out to flash a UEFI compatible bios Asus requires you to have a ASUS GPU and ASUS Motherboard, something I believe is a underhanded tactic. Otherwise most manufacturers will either centralize the software (monitor GPU and MB in same panel), overlocking (overclock motherboard and GPU in same software) or just a cosmetic match
Old September 23, 2013, 05:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon3d View Post
I finally saved enough money and bought a FX-8350(thanks to great_big_abyss's advice)and a Gigabyte HD7970 OC. My next purchase will be a, GA-990FXA-UD3 with 2x16 for future crossfire plus the 990 chipset for overclocking.
Finally to my question, is there any benefits when buying a gpu+mobo from the same manufacturer, does it gives any extra boost in performance that a noob like myself doesn't know?

I also upgraded my PSU to this: Thermaltake Smart 750W ATX 12V V2.3 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 120mm Fan I hope this will be enough for future crossfire upgrade.
You're buying a new motherboard, too? Oh Geez,

Not that there's anything wrong with the 8350 you bought, but the whole recommendation was contingent on you keeping the M5A97 that you have (nothing wrong with that board...I run it in my son's computer) in order to keep costs down.

If you knew in advance you were buying a new motherboard and a processor, the recommendation would likely have been to splurge a little more on an i5.

Anyway, mirroring what the other guys said, there is negligable advantage towards having matching manufacturers.

Also, like I said, why do you want to change motherboard? The M5A97 is Crossfire compatible (2x8 vs 2x16 shouldn't really make a noticeable difference), and it can overclock a decent amount. I would say keep the board and spend the money on something else, like a nice SSD or something.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 23, 2013, 05:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
You're buying a new motherboard, too? Oh Geez,

Not that there's anything wrong with the 8350 you bought, but the whole recommendation was contingent on you keeping the M5A97 that you have (nothing wrong with that board...I run it in my son's computer) in order to keep costs down.

If you knew in advance you were buying a new motherboard and a processor, the recommendation would likely have been to splurge a little more on an i5.

Anyway, mirroring what the other guys said, there is negligable advantage towards having matching manufacturers.

Also, like I said, why do you want to change motherboard? The M5A97 is Crossfire compatible (2x8 vs 2x16 shouldn't really make a noticeable difference), and it can overclock a decent amount. I would say keep the board and spend the money on something else, like a nice SSD or something.
Thats a nice setup he is going for there my wife had that with a 8150 she liked it at the time :)

Biggest benefit... IT LOOKS COOLER!!! MSI and ASUS FTW

As of late I have been super impressed with Gigabyte the RMA horror stories for myself anyways ended up to be false and their products took more physical abuse then Peris mom :P
Old September 23, 2013, 06:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya, the Gigabyte is a nice board. If you really want to buy it, then fair'nuff. The 990FX chipset is indeed nice and high end, and combined with your shiny new 8350 should last you a few years to come.

That being said I really have an urge to replace my son's 1055T with an 8350. If only the 1055T @ 3.8 wasn't doing such a good job, I would probably make the move.

THAT, btw, is a testament to the quality of ASUS's midrange products. I was able to get a 1Ghz overclock on a hex core chip with an M5A97, and it's been running strong for about a year now.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old November 8, 2013, 02:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This thread answered my questions too since ive always been wondering that question.

But I don't know what all the hate about the fx 8350 is, its a good cpu. Earlier this year I built a computer for fun and I used the same cpu in it and it was great. I didn't notice any performance loss over my 4ghz i7 930 in my main computer in games such as bf3, crisis 3, borderlands 2, and a few more. I loved that cpu, its great for the price imo, only had the computer for 2 months though since I sold it. That's my hobby, if I have spare parts and money lying around I just build a new comp, play with it for a while then sell it and hopefully make a tiny profit