Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2013, 06:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Damn, why do you do this to me? A 4820K + the new R4EBE looks so good right now.
R4EBE?
Old September 11, 2013, 07:08 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
Old September 11, 2013, 08:57 AM
Rookie

Default Small correction

I spotted a "tham" in the second paragraph from the bottom on the Introduction page. Forgive me that my first post is a "spell check" post.
Old September 11, 2013, 09:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

My 4930K is "on truck for delivery" so I should have it in my hands this afternoon. I'm getting real close to getting the Air 540 build all done.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 11, 2013, 09:59 AM
Rookie

Hi guys, as i'm not as versed as everyone here regarding processors, upon looking at the reviews i'm curious as to why someone would choose the 4930k over the 4820k?

It seems the 4820k can OC better, is cheaper, and is on par if not better for gaming?

Does the 4830 provide better multi-tasking?
Old September 11, 2013, 10:19 AM

That really depends on how you look at it since multitasking can now be accomplished in a number of different ways.

Years ago, multi core CPUs were considered "the shit" because with one, you would be able to accomplish multiple tasks at once (ie: multitasking) or dedicate a ridiculous amount of resources to a single multi-threaded task.

Times have changed though. Now, many of the most popular CPU heavy programs many consumers use on a day to day basis can be done on the GPU instead, with much better speed. Take video encoding programs like MediaCoder for example; even a 12-thread $1000 CPU is outperformed by a $50 GT 640. Even PhotoShop, Lightwave, Vegas Pro, etc. can now all be accelerated on the GPU. The reason behind this movement is simple: today's graphics processors are able to process parallel tasks at a much greater speed and efficiency that an x86 CPU. Serial tasks are still more efficient on a CPU.

Naturally, this isn't an end all be all situation since there are tens of thousands of programs that don't have GPU acceleration. In those situations, a 12-thread CPU will be of help provided those applications have the necessary support built into their software.

Hope that answers your question. :)
Old September 11, 2013, 10:35 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallell View Post
Hi guys, as i'm not as versed as everyone here regarding processors, upon looking at the reviews i'm curious as to why someone would choose the 4930k over the 4820k?

It seems the 4820k can OC better, is cheaper, and is on par if not better for gaming?

Does the 4830 provide better multi-tasking?
In theory, yes. 6/12 cores/threads vs 4/8. More cores/theads = better multitasking potential. In practice, the vast majority of users would not benefit. The main reason to go to a 6 core processor is for better multithreaded performance for applications such as video encoding. A 3D or video enthusiast/professional has the potential to be significantly more productive with 6 cores.

But 99.99% of desktop users are better off with quad core LGA1150/1155 based systems as benchmarks indicate. Most LGA 2011 upgrades I've observed have more to do with benchmarks and vanity rather than real-world benefits. I fight this battle myself; an LGA 2011 upgrade is somehow much more romantic, despite the greater price and reduced overall performance.
Old September 11, 2013, 10:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
That really depends on how you look at it since multitasking can now be accomplished in a number of different ways.

Years ago, multi core CPUs were considered "the shit" because with one, you would be able to accomplish multiple tasks at once (ie: multitasking) or dedicate a ridiculous amount of resources to a single multi-threaded task.

Times have changed though. Now, many of the most popular CPU heavy programs many consumers use on a day to day basis can be done on the GPU instead, with much better speed. Take video encoding programs like MediaCoder for example; even a 12-thread $1000 CPU is outperformed by a $50 GT 640. Even PhotoShop, Lightwave, Vegas Pro, etc. can now all be accelerated on the GPU. The reason behind this movement is simple: today's graphics processors are able to process parallel tasks at a much greater speed and efficiency that an x86 CPU. Serial tasks are still more efficient on a CPU.

Naturally, this isn't an end all be all situation since there are tens of thousands of programs that don't have GPU acceleration. In those situations, a 12-thread CPU will be of help provided those applications have the necessary support built into their software.

Hope that answers your question. :)

Thank you for the response. To shed some light on my situation -

I'm an avid botter of many games, namely Diablo 3 as of late. I currently run 10 or so instances on my computer with my oc'd i7 2.8ghz lynnfield. This usually consumes 80-90% of my cpu usage, even while overclocked. Upon playing some of the newer games, I obviously have to shut down a few of these diablo 3 instances. While an easy solution, it's not idea -- I'd much rather be able to run them 24/7 in conjunction with any game i'd like to play at near max settings. Now from the review I gathered the 4770, 4820, and the 4930 are all very similar in terms of gaming, but what i'm unsure of is if any of them will help in regards to my botting/gameing scenari; if it matters at all.

Thoughts?
Old September 11, 2013, 10:51 AM

Normally, I would ask why someone would have so many instances of Diablo open but that would get this off track.

In your unique case, I would say that the 12-core 4930K would be money well spent.
Old September 11, 2013, 11:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I just goy my 4930K and was a bit surprised that no heat sink or fan was in the box. Does that mean any intel stock cooler will do the trick? I have liquid cooling so it's no big deal for me,I'm just curious as to why no heatsink is included.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5