Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default MSI MPower SP

Saw a new board moniker from MSI that is a little cheaper than the regular MPower. I was wondering what the difference might be and what does the "SP" stand for?
Old September 10, 2013, 05:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

No wifi/BT module. No Virtua MVP built in. IIRC Thats about it. Though there is a chance they is different VRM parts...so while both are "16 phase" the SP may cut a few corners...no idea though. Havent peeled one to see what its using.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 10, 2013, 08:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks AkG. I did look at a comparison table before I asked but my old eyes felt as though I was straining at a gnat. I did notice a discrepancy between PCIe modes? 3(x16/ x0/ x0, x8/ x8/ x0, or x8/ x4/ x4) for the SP model and 3(at x16/x4/x4; x8/x8/x4) for the step up model. Not sure how to interpret that.

Do you know which Virtu MVP edition the board comes with? Seems like you get a lot for 30 bucks going with the regular board as opposed to cheaping out. I do think MSI could do better to compete with the Asus Hero.

Looks like their pricing to fish for people to buy the regular model rather than compete against Asus or Gigabyte.

Also, is Virtu MVP really all that and a bag of chips? Or more of a placebo like Killer network?
Old September 10, 2013, 08:42 PM

I havent looked closely - been rocking the Mpower max and loving it- but pcie lanes its usually 16 for one. 8/8 for two or 8/4/4 for three. Doubt there is any dif between the two as its Z87 vs Z87. I dont think it comes with a MVP license at all. But this is one of those features that I dont even bother with. Killer NIC...maybe. Lucid MVP. Nope no real value IMHO.

Honestly I think MSI Mpower is a great bang for your buck board. Hard to go wrong with it...'specially where the SP is so close in price...so bother risking it? YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 10, 2013, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Honestly I think MSI Mpower is a great bang for your buck board. Hard to go wrong with it...'specially where the SP is so close in price...so bother risking it? YMMV
Thanks. So you think the MPower are a better bang for buck board than the Hero? I know the Hero comes with RamDisk software that I am interested in. I would prefer the yellow/black colour scheme as Iv'e done the ROG thing for many years already. Just bored with the colour.
Old September 12, 2013, 10:02 AM

Sorry just saw that question now (came back to add info I just got from MSI). Honestly...6 in one half dozen in the other. Both are great boards. The MSI Mpower Max at least does come with pretty decent RamDisk software built into the Command Center. Cant see why the SP wouldnt use the same Command Center software. But YMMV on that one. Plenty of free programs out there that do the same as either boards supplied RD software. ;)

I did ask our MSI rep about the SP
"...We have a few people on the forum asking what the difference is between the standard MPower model and the new MPower SP. Besides the lack of Lucid and the wifi module are there any other differences?...."
Mark's answer was:
"The MPOWER SP Model has only those changes."

Old September 12, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah! Good stuff. Thanks AkG.