Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2013, 12:13 PM
Rookie

Default motherboard is ok or not ...

i just ordered a asus h77 v model for i7 3rd gen... while completion my rig i fixed the mobo and cpu with hyper tx3 so it will save some time , now only to wait for the delivery of the cabinet so i can assemble the rig but eventually it took 4-5 days .. and in the meantime i kept the mobo with heatsink installed in a plastic bag....... now one of my friend just told me the plastic can cause static electricity ..i already kept it for more than two days i still have 2 days left for my cabinet ... but now i am very worried that have i accidentally fried my cpu and mobo.. please is this ok or not ...

Last edited by demon08; September 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old September 1, 2013, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well although it is true that plastic can cause static which possibly can damage the motherboard, more then likely it is ok ,to be safe I would take the mother board out of the plastic carefully and put it back inside the silver bag that it originally came in or set it back inside the motherboard box . also I always install my CPU into the motherboard and then leave it in there, is this the right way I am not sure but I haven't ran into any problems so far.

when ever I put together a PC I usually try and keep all the parts inside the original containers unless of course I am looking them over. if you are worried about the possibility that the mother board was damages then before you put everything together inside the case I would first put it all together on top of the motherboard then recheck that everything is installed properly then plug in the power supply cables power it all up of course I mean everything should be attached like video card ( if you are using one) keyboard mouse , I don't think that you would need any hard drive installed because you just want to boot into the Bios if you can all is good.
the other thing that I do is that when I am putting everything into the case I always make she that I have some part of me touching the case so that I am grounded. either I have been lucky in my past becasue when I first started to put together PCs I never knew about static and put together quit a few with out have any problems but like i said I could have been lucky.
Old September 1, 2013, 01:13 PM
Rookie

my motherboard was under my computer table on the flat surface..but still above the ground level ( and i kept it on the motherboard box but in plastic bag from grocery) i can't check right as the psu is still in order i think i made a mistake by assemble rig without complete parts ... need to be calm i guess but now .. how to confirm ... i also want to know is static electric can be produced if i never check the mobo while i was on the floor .. becoz i guess electricity can only be produced from bare feets ..is this true ... please this would be really helpful.. paranoid a bit...

Last edited by demon08; September 1, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old September 1, 2013, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No need to get paranoid, just put the motherboard back in the anti static bag it shipped in and barring any intentional abuse you'll be perfectly fine.

Most motherboards these days are built and tested to be static resistant and have excellent circuit protections built in. As long as you're not intentionally abusing your hardware you'll have a pretty hard time frying anything. Static discharge causes more minor stability issues than dead hardware nowadays but despite that you should still practice basic ESD safety.
Old September 1, 2013, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If this is the bag that came with your motherboard, they're anti static and you're completely safe, even if it isn't you'll be fine. I've left a bare motherboard on a cloth couch for months (much worse than a plastic bag) and it still works fine.