Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2013, 10:03 AM
MVP

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

There's something to fiddle with ^ some use it and some don't, I use it to get a general idea of what the max everything running 100% would be and it's not a be all. I punched in some stuff 965/7970 overclocked 1.45v it spit out 499w recommended 550w but remember that's 100% everything running, in reality everything doesn't spin or work all the time in a tower.

Basically a good quality 650w (seasonic, xfx, corsair tx ) would do with some extra but you might get by with the cm extreme 2 until you can buy a new psu

Ps, OCZ is another psu that's not so good.

Last edited by upcoast604; September 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old September 8, 2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Don't worry about your power supply, just get a 7950 or a GTX670 card. Uses much less juice than the 7970, performance not far behind.

Your PSU should be good enough.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Don't worry about your power supply, just get a 7950 or a GTX670 card. Uses much less juice than the 7970, performance not far behind.

Your PSU should be good enough.
Not really... those Extreme CM's are total crap.

To the OP.. read pro reviews... you should be able to find pretty good PSU for a decent price... I remember reading the CM gold rated one is actually very good if not very quiet but it is very cheap.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 9, 2013, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Not really... those Extreme CM's are total crap.

To the OP.. read pro reviews... you should be able to find pretty good PSU for a decent price... I remember reading the CM gold rated one is actually very good if not very quiet but it is very cheap.
Spending money where you don't need to is kind of "crap" too.

AnandTech | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Review Feat. EVGA: Bringing GK104 Down To $400

Load system power with stock version of 7870 he has: 310W

Load system power with stock version of 670 I recommended: 317W

Load system power with stock version of 7970 he wants: 391W

Think that 7W is going to push his 725W CPU right over the edge, huh?

I wouldn't have bought the Extreme 2 either, but it's what he has, and another good reason to stay away from power hungry AMD parts.

Oh yeah, let's looks at the upgrade he'd get at Battle Field 3:

AnandTech | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Review Feat. EVGA: Bringing GK104 Down To $400

62fps with the 670 I recommended, 38fps with the 7870 he has.

The only thing I'll admit to being wrong on in this thread is the 7950 recommendation. Where power is a concern, per usual, AMD is failing.
Old September 9, 2013, 04:28 AM
Banned

ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5 GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com

$275 for a GTX670 with good cooling. Sell your 7870 for $150, add your $120 stated budget, and you've completed the biggest upgrade you possibly could for $120 out of pocket. (and get Batman Arkham Origins free)
Old September 9, 2013, 04:57 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm now I really can see why everyone says ignore the realbiasedrollo coolermaster psu's are a all round bad idea. Had your exact unit deep 6 a customers computer. Dead psu dead mobo dead ram and dead gpu oh and almost forgot dead and unrecoverable hdd to.

start with a nice corsair or seasonic and then move on from there. Dont throw great parts onto a bad foundation.

OP if you need a good psu watch the fs section here or the memxpress and ncix sales :)
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old September 9, 2013, 06:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Spending money where you don't need to is kind of "crap" too.

Think that 7W is going to push his 725W CPU right over the edge, huh?
Indeed spending money where it's not needed is crap... But seriously with a PSU that's as bad as that, I think pretty much everyone but you agree's he should change it before it takes out some of his components.

To the OP, at the end of the day, it's your decision. I will warn you that a PSU as bad as this can cause system in-stability, unpredictability and even damage. Then if it does go pop it can kill many components when it does (I say when cos ALL hardware fails eventually)

I will also say that not all CM labelled units are bad but you do need to be careful. Read pro reviews for everything.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old September 9, 2013, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Indeed spending money where it's not needed is crap... But seriously with a PSU that's as bad as that, I think pretty much everyone but you agree's he should change it before it takes out some of his components.

To the OP, at the end of the day, it's your decision. I will warn you that a PSU as bad as this can cause system in-stability, unpredictability and even damage. Then if it does go pop it can kill many components when it does (I say when cos ALL hardware fails eventually)

I will also say that not all CM labelled units are bad but you do need to be careful. Read pro reviews for everything.
I agree on using good PSUs and always do.

However, if he's had this one some time, changing his video card to a 670 from a 7870 OC shouldn't push it over the edge.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Hmmm now I really can see why everyone says ignore the realbiasedrollo coolermaster psu's are a all round bad idea. B] Had your exact unit deep 6 a customers computer. Dead psu dead mobo dead ram and dead gpu oh and almost forgot dead and unrecoverable hdd to.[/B]
start with a nice corsair or seasonic and then move on from there. Dont throw great parts onto a bad foundation.

OP if you need a good psu watch the fs section here or the memxpress and ncix sales :)
The customer have his same components? If not, I fail to see your point.

Let me explain it to you:

intel, and NVIDIA, parts often deliver similar or better performance to their AMD counter parts at less power.

So, while the OCd to 4.3GHz intel 3960 in the AT review I linked to is probably similar (or maybe even higher) than the OPs Phenom 2 965, the GTX670 has similar power use to his 7870.

Net effect of swapping 670 for 7870 should be much higher performance at similar power. And with ATs system use at 317W with the OCd 3960 and and GTX670 playing a demanding game like Metro, and his PSU supposed "725W class", he should be pretty safe swapping one video card for a similar power use other card.

AnandTech | Intel Core i7 3960X (Sandy Bridge E) Review: Keeping the High End Alive

There you have it- even at stock his 965 should be lower power draw than the 3960.

I hope this helps, but feel free to pose any questions you may have.

Last edited by The RealRollo; September 9, 2013 at 10:28 AM.