Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2013, 03:57 AM
Rookie

Default Motherboard/CPU for Windows XP

I've decided it's time to get myself a new computer, something a little faster than my trusty Lenovo ThinkCentre with an Intel Core2 Q6600 Processor, which has run flawlessly under Windows XP, for a very long time. I spoke with the Memory Express guys, but came away a bit disappointed.

I wanted to have them build me a system, and I only had a few wishes, but one of them was that I could install any OS from XP to Windows 7. I can do this on my current computer and I wanted to be able to continue to do this on my next computer. But, I was told they didn't have any CPU/Motherboard combination that would accept XP. However, they did say that if I found something that worked, they would use that as a basis to build me a new computer.

Does anyone know of CPUs/Motherboards, still available brand new, that I might check out? I could go to eBay and get a refurbished or used product, but I'd like something new. Am I really out of luck when it comes to a new system that will run XP?
Old August 23, 2013, 04:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

XP is basically dead m8. You won't find drivers etc for the newest hardware or even possibly since around sandy that will work with XP.
win7 etc is backwards compatible with old hardware. But unless an manufacturer want to support xp, which there is no real reason to, then there just aren't the drivers.. not to mention many features would be unavailable.

Bite the bullett and just go new... otherwise OC the ass off of your q6600 and live with it as long as you can. (or have 2 machines, 1 for xp and a new one for win7)

Is there any specific reason you want to stay on XP?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 23, 2013, 07:31 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

I did some searching around and discovered that all of the X79 motherboards on the Asus website have drivers for XP through to Windows 7.
I'm assuming that means the motherboard/chipset will allow you to install and run Windows XP. I think the socket on those boards is called an LGA2011 Socket R, and that you can use any 2nd Generation CPU.
Can you confirm :) or disappoint :( that my thinking is correct?

I like XP. Over the years I've become very comfortable with it. My computer runs flawlessly, never crashes, never does anything unexpected.
All the programs (like Office 2003) that were acquired years ago still work perfectly. The only downside is that IE8 will never be upgradable under Windows XP, but I have other browsers that continue to be patched and updated.
Someday when there are no longer hardware parts that work with XP, I'll move on to another primary OS, but being in my 60s maybe I won't have to worry about that!
Old August 23, 2013, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrats View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I did some searching around and discovered that all of the X79 motherboards on the Asus website have drivers for XP through to Windows 7.
I'm assuming that means the motherboard/chipset will allow you to install and run Windows XP. I think the socket on those boards is called an LGA2011 Socket R, and that you can use any 2nd Generation CPU.
Can you confirm :) or disappoint :( that my thinking is correct?

I like XP. Over the years I've become very comfortable with it. My computer runs flawlessly, never crashes, never does anything unexpected.
All the programs (like Office 2003) that were acquired years ago still work perfectly. The only downside is that IE8 will never be upgradable under Windows XP, but I have other browsers that continue to be patched and updated.
Someday when there are no longer hardware parts that work with XP, I'll move on to another primary OS, but being in my 60s maybe I won't have to worry about that!
Being a die hard fan myself of XP people scrutinized me when I didn't want to leave it for Vista due to the pile it was. Then when 7 came out I didn't jump ship either until I felt it was stable and then when I did I haven't looked back.

So honestly get rid of XP join the modern days otherwise certain hardware just is not going to function properly or at all.
Old August 23, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

there is nothing wrong with windows XP I know of allot of people that still use it. the only thing that Ireally didn't like about XP was that it slows down after a while so I had to back up everything and do a clean install at least twice a year after a fresh install it worked great. my favorite OS was server2003 allot like XP but missing a few things tha tneeded to be added blas it was very fast ewven my old p4 sytem ran great with it then I updated to a dualcore e 8400 and my system was very fast and als o Inever had to do re installs because of slowdowns.
I still have a q6600 with a old DFI p35 dark motherboard that runs windows 8 with out any problems at all ,it has 4 gbn ram and an old seagate 320gb hd using an AMD 7770 video card, sure it is pretty slow booting up but once it is up and running it works great. hell I had an older ssd tha tI used for a boot drive which helped speed up the bot allot but I broke the stupid tab were the sata plugs into the SSD so I switched back to the 320 seagate drive.
Old August 23, 2013, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
there is nothing wrong with windows XP I know of allot of people that still use it. the only thing that Ireally didn't like about XP was that it slows down after a while so I had to back up everything and do a clean install at least twice a year after a fresh install it worked great. my favorite OS was server2003 allot like XP but missing a few things tha tneeded to be added blas it was very fast ewven my old p4 sytem ran great with it then I updated to a dualcore e 8400 and my system was very fast and als o Inever had to do re installs because of slowdowns.
I still have a q6600 with a old DFI p35 dark motherboard that runs windows 8 with out any problems at all ,it has 4 gbn ram and an old seagate 320gb hd using an AMD 7770 video card, sure it is pretty slow booting up but once it is up and running it works great. hell I had an older ssd tha tI used for a boot drive which helped speed up the bot allot but I broke the stupid tab were the sata plugs into the SSD so I switched back to the 320 seagate drive.
Sure but then you miss out on updated things like USB 3, SATA 3/6, Trim and so forth.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:43 PM
Rookie

I went back to Memory Express and they did, in fact, have a number of X79 motherboards, and now they tell me I can install and run Windows XP on those boards. The only limitation is that I will have to get an 2nd Generation i7 processor. It's apparently the only one that matches up with an X79 board. So, I think I can now put together a new computer for myself. I don't mind missing out on USB 3 and other things. A few seconds longer in moving files around isn't going to bother me.

My boot time on my Lenovo running XP is very fast. I only have 4 applications that run at startup and they are small untilites. No third party programs run in the background. Even my AV and Malware programs stay off until I need them. It means I have to remember to scan everything before opening them, but that's worked for me so far. And I have my C drive backed up on both a hidden partition and a USB key, so when I do get a problem, it only takes about 5 minutes to ghost a copy back to C drive. All my data is backed up on another partition and a USB key at the end of each day. Even if my hard drive died, I'm pretty confident that I won't have a major problem getting back up and running. I also have a backup computer (old IBM with XP and applications already installed) in case I lose the whole machine.

Other than high end games, I can't think of any reason why I would need to upgrade to Windows 7.
I've taken a test run with Windows 8 and unless MS makes a lot of changes, I may even end up going with a Mac. Windows 8 is fine for tablets, but I don't like it for a desktop PC.

Anyway, thanks to Dzzope, enaberif and Shadowmeph for your comments. Much appreciated.
Old August 23, 2013, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Geez, X79 is VERY expensive hardware to be using on an XP build. Honestly, Windows 7 was probably one of the best windows builds out there. I certainly rate it higher than Windows XP. The worst part? Security updates for Windows XP will end on April 8 2014. That date is rapidly approaching. Basically you'll be left with very expensive hardware and a lame duck OS.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 23, 2013, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrats View Post
I went back to Memory Express and they did, in fact, have a number of X79 motherboards, and now they tell me I can install and run Windows XP on those boards. The only limitation is that I will have to get an 2nd Generation i7 processor. It's apparently the only one that matches up with an X79 board. So, I think I can now put together a new computer for myself. I don't mind missing out on USB 3 and other things. A few seconds longer in moving files around isn't going to bother me.

My boot time on my Lenovo running XP is very fast. I only have 4 applications that run at startup and they are small untilites. No third party programs run in the background. Even my AV and Malware programs stay off until I need them. It means I have to remember to scan everything before opening them, but that's worked for me so far. And I have my C drive backed up on both a hidden partition and a USB key, so when I do get a problem, it only takes about 5 minutes to ghost a copy back to C drive. All my data is backed up on another partition and a USB key at the end of each day. Even if my hard drive died, I'm pretty confident that I won't have a major problem getting back up and running. I also have a backup computer (old IBM with XP and applications already installed) in case I lose the whole machine.

Other than high end games, I can't think of any reason why I would need to upgrade to Windows 7.
I've taken a test run with Windows 8 and unless MS makes a lot of changes, I may even end up going with a Mac. Windows 8 is fine for tablets, but I don't like it for a desktop PC.

Anyway, thanks to Dzzope, enaberif and Shadowmeph for your comments. Much appreciated.
Windows 8 will never become mainstream for a desktop and Windows 7 will be just like XP with its life expectancy.

You realllllllly wasting good money for an old OS.. but its what you wish to do. I say give 7 a good hard honest try and you'll come to enjoy it.
Old August 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Bite the bullet and run Win7 with your old apps.

It's fast, stable, will support > 4GB of RAM, and boots up super fast as long as you have the right hardware.

On my Z87+4770 setup, Windows 7 boots REALLY fast. Half of the POST time on older machines was due to BIOS detection. These new boards have a 'fast boot' mode.

Anything newer than Core 2 Duo will be a waste if it's running XP IMO.