Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2013, 08:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only reason XP lasted this long was because people got upset about Vista(I used Vista SP0 btw, it was fine for the most part.)

Windows XP is twelve years old. It is quite outdated in every possible way. It certainly sounds like we are actually at the point where /current/ hardware is not reliably coming with XP drivers. Reliably being the key word.
How about this as a thought for XP users in general: 32bit XP does not support GPT. If you want lots of storage such as a drive larger than 2TB you either go MBR third party software and partitions, or 64bit Vista or newer and GPT. Or do not use third party software and be limited to 2TB per drive. Granted most would just put up with a bunch of partitions despite the inconvenience.

Car manufacturers do not refuse to service old cars because they can make money selling you new-old-stock parts&labour and maintaining brand loyalty. MS does not charge for the service packs and your OS is significantly cheaper than a car.
Look at it this way: IIRC $8.4 per month is $500 after five years, plenty for windows on a couple rigs. Or in the case of running XP for twelve years that is about $1200. Much more than one consumer copy of windows per decade. If you spent $200 on a copy of windows each 12 years that is what? $1.4 per month? So tell me how microsoft is evil and stealing all of everybody's money.. It is sounding like that money is well spent considering how critical an OS is to a PC. And at such a cost supporting that OS for lets say twenty years is a very expensive deal for Microsoft. Unless you wanted to pay for that extended support contract like some enterprise-grade operating systems. That, however, is not even close to cheap.

Back on the previous tangent..... Safety recalls on cars are for life(or as long as the parts last), as far as I remember. Though any other non-safety recall program has an end date and will not last forever.
Also, plenty of cars get wrecked or wear out, your Windows license does not expire.

Nobody is saying people have to buy each new OS either. We are not going to complain if you went and used Windows 7 now that Windows 8 has come out. Personally, I would not even complain if you upgraded to Vista from XP.

Vista will get security updates into 2017, Windows 7 is January 2020.

For someone like myself, between wanting to use multiple 4TB+ HDDs and wanting 4GB+ RAM and wanting security updates and all that other good stuff there is just no room for XP installed on a primary computer. Older period appropriate hobby computer, sure.

*shrug*
Old August 25, 2013, 10:53 AM
Rookie

Here's a option for you if you want a bit of adventure. Run windows XP in a virtualized enviroment, you could even run a windows 7 build along side if you wanted.

You can use Hyper-V 2012 (or r2 preview) as the host which is a free hypervisor, or you could install windows 7 or windows 8 and run XP inside them.

Windows 7 supports Windows XP mode which is a virtualized XP system, Windows 8 has Hyper-V as part of the OS which will allow virtual machines to run inside or along side it.

I do that myself, Run windows 8 with a XP virtual machine inside for all my old games that don't work well in DOSbox.
Old August 25, 2013, 05:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm just suprised that your willing to spend basically about 550+ on top tier hardware for xp? Like others have said just have a secondary machine for xp it'll be easier to run that way and wont be a waste.....
Old August 25, 2013, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

$550? Try close to a grand for X79 motherboard, processor, and RAM alone.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 25, 2013, 07:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yea i misc calculated a bit :P but
Old August 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I think that a good point to use this thread will be to list todays mainbards/GFX/SFX cards, that are possible to run with Windows XP.

That would be nice and informing. Opinions about what is and is not a "waste of money" are just that - opinions of users. I won't run Win7 on anything, because I feel like I'm in prison with them. I did not like even XP much, but asking if a hardware from 2013 would run Windows 2000 SP4 might be troubling for others way too much :)
Old August 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you are looking for drivers go to the omega driver website they could most likely help you there.

there is one thing that I know and that is that every business that I have gone to where I can see a computer screen ,this includes doc offices , still are using windows xp
Old August 27, 2013, 09:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Company that I work for is using Windows 7... although the engineering software we use is limited to 32-bit windows, which makes it a pain in the ass, because I regularly burn through the 3GB of system memory that is available to me.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 27, 2013, 02:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_big_abyss View Post
Company that I work for is using Windows 7... although the engineering software we use is limited to 32-bit windows, which makes it a pain in the ass, because I regularly burn through the 3GB of system memory that is available to me.
This unfortunately.. Any larger organisation or one that isn't struggling in any way that I have seen is all up to date unless they are running something legacy that requires it.

But then, especially for smaller organisations, if it works....

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old August 30, 2013, 04:05 AM
Rookie

I looked at computer screens, as I went about my business the last few days, and all of them were still running XP. That included a grocery store, my dentist, a car repair store and even my family doctor. I asked a couple of them whether they planned to upgrade to 7 or 8, and all of them said they had no plans to do that. :)