Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > CPU's and Motherboards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2013, 09:00 PM
Banned

Default AMD gives up making "big" CPUs

Updated: Why it's a big deal AMD is delaying Kaveri - VR-Zone

Apparently the ill fated 9590 is their last intel competitor and stab at the high end.
Old August 7, 2013, 04:06 AM
Hall Of Fame

We're in trouble then...

Intel will keep concentrate for really small incremental changes, increase efficiency, power usage and IGP performance...

Enthusiasts might suffer!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old August 7, 2013, 06:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
We're in trouble then...

Intel will keep concentrate for really small incremental changes, increase efficiency, power usage and IGP performance...

Enthusiasts might suffer!
Rory Read, AMD's new CEO, said they were going to stop fighting the losing battle with intel at the high end from the start.

I don't think this changes anything for intel though because intel still needs to sell parts to stay in business.

If they don't give you a reason to upgrade, you have no reason to give them your money.

Same on price- they have to sell at a price you'll pay, or people will shift to gaming on consoles, handhelds, phones, etc..

AMD hasn't competed with intel for a long time, they weren't driving intel to step up their R&D for years.
Old August 7, 2013, 07:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Good points.
Old August 7, 2013, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The RealRollo View Post
Rory Read, AMD's new CEO, said they were going to stop fighting the losing battle with intel at the high end from the start.

I don't think this changes anything for intel though because intel still needs to sell parts to stay in business.

If they don't give you a reason to upgrade, you have no reason to give them your money.

Same on price- they have to sell at a price you'll pay, or people will shift to gaming on consoles, handhelds, phones, etc..

AMD hasn't competed with intel for a long time, they weren't driving intel to step up their R&D for years.
Yes,

I guess you have a point there....
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old August 7, 2013, 04:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As a counterpoint...Haswell 4770K retail chips. Do you really think Intel would have put out an EZ-Bake Oven of a chip if AMD were even close to being in the same ballpark. I mean dont get me wrong the 4770K at stock loads is a marvel of engineering (im in the process of converting my older rigs to it)...but damn is unfriendly towards over-clockers!

Just wish AMD would stop the madness on their hardware hyper-threading implementation...and get back to basics. Put out a real 6 core that kicks ass for enthusiass and an APU 4 core + good GPU that kicks ass for mainstream and AMD would be back in the game.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 7, 2013, 04:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

AMD is still competing with Intel in a different way, they know their strengths and know their weaknesses, they will still push high end cpu to keep folks on their side of the market(some like me just love AMD, but I went Phenom II until steamroller for various reasons) A lot of enthusiasts gave AMD grief for not having a stinking high end HALO part cpu which they now have 2 of them, I am sure they will not sell lots of them, BUT probably make a tidy profit on them as well.

APU and lower end chips however, AMD is and has done very well with, its just their average selling price(due to Intel being to strong in current performance requirements namely single core, and power usage) that they need remedy.

Even if say steamroller/kaveri is not a bust a move type win, as long as they reduce power, increase per core performance, reduce latencies, but most importantly feed the cpu better all the time(especially single core performance) they will have a great recipe to continue to tune, as it stands they have EXCELLENT multi-core performance for things designed to use it, BUT there is a lot of heavy load single thread legacy programs out there(and many games) that need higher per core performance and just overall efficiency to get more done with less demands.

I still love reading on all this stuff, it does show that while they(AMD) may not have all the answers and does not always release say drivers that are the end all be all, at least they are doing what they are capable of, and watching how they do things which only leads to a more agile company, which is GREAT for all of us.

They still are competitive with Intel, or simply put, Intel would have never bothered continuing to make the core I series the way they have done them, eventually they will slow down as they have in the past, and AMD will get that magic tuning they have needed to get. Either way, Intel cannot touch AMD on HSA/Graphics side which is the way things are going, its becoming more and more a multi-core graphic diversity world, something that Intel for the most part has no defined answer to.
Old August 7, 2013, 05:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

in my personal opinion and to be totally honest there really isn't a " Huge" amount of difference between the performances of intels same priced cpus compared to AMD so to me I don't think that it changes anything at all my older 1100t be AMD cpu with the sabertooth 990fx motherboard performs exactly the same and sometimes better ( when OCed to 3.8) when com paired to the 2500k oced to 4.3 in my asrock z77 motherboard when you compare the prices between the two after they came out there is quite a difference for pretty much no real noticeable gain. it is all in the marketing and the so called numbers people read the numbers then notice a difference but if they never had the numbers or any real info and then tried them both they would notice very little ( all in the hype) again these are just my own personal opinions. if I was to build a new system I probably would go AMD again
the one thing I do have to say though is so far the Intels are allot easier to OC then the AMDs
Old August 7, 2013, 07:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

That article did not say anything new. Plus, the vagueness of some of the definitions is no more definitive than the specifics of the product's release date to either OEMs or retail channels. Excuse my ignorance but is there some industry jargon that defines "big core" in the magical top secret document. Is "big core" referring to die-size or core size; and if it is core-size, does that mean 6, 8, 10, 12? What is "big", by this document's standards.

Sam says mid-February 2014, but that is his opinion, whether right or wrong, yet some people will end up fixating on that time frame.

At this moment, the OEMs will get Kaveri in their hands "in the second half of 2013", so I don't see anything wrong.

Anything else that may or may not be implied through CES speeches and un-releasable hush-hush documents is simply Sunday's Horoscope material.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

AMD does have one really big thing going for it, which maybe will fuel some future development.
They are in every console being released. That's gotta be a huge cash infusion.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com